adequate self defense round

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by llama.45, Jun 8, 2005.

1. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

me and some of my neighbors were haveing a debate today and one of the topics was "is a fmj bullet in any caliber an adequate self defense round?" well, we talked about this for a good while so i thought i would see if any of u had an opinion on this subject.
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I think a FMJ would be adequate in larger calibers, but wouldn't use them myself because of over penetration. Most likely a FMJ would go completely through a person at the distances somebody would be shooting in self defense. That leaves everything behind the target in danger(even if you hit your target.).

So, it'll get the job done, but I think there are definately better alternatives.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

What Country101 said. A .45ACP FMJ will penetrate 23", I would stick with a hollow point. The object is to have a bullet expend ALL its energy in the target, not to keep going after it goes through your intended target.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

For 90+ years, the "M1911, Cartridge, Ball, Caliber .45" has proven itself more than adequate.
  5. offeror

offeror New Member

I agree the.44 or .45 is about the smallest caliber that I'd load in FMJ for defense, and only if I lived in liberal territory where there was a superstitious fear of citizens with hollowpoints. It's amazing how many people are still shocked when they see HPs in a firearm. Overpenetration aside, the .44 and .45 make a big enough hole to be long-proven stoppers in FMJ, something that can't necessarily be said of the smaller calibers.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  6. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

nice to see you posting again offeror.havent seen u around in a while.
  7. SAXD

SAXD New Member

I wouldnt try to carry a FMJ load for my gun.. its a 9mm :D
    Instead I use the new Hornady TAP in 147gr and if it performs as well as its advertised Im sure I will have no problems!
  8. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i like to carry 170 gr. pmc hollowpoints in my 10mm personally, but i do think a fmj can be used to great success in an invironment where there arent innocent bystanders to be struck by the overpenetration.
  9. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

The simple answer: yes. FMJ in any caliber will kill a bad guy. That, by definition, makes it "adequate". The only thing with FMJ is that you'll need to pay more attention to shot placement.
  10. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

good point sir
  11. Ruger.44

Ruger.44 New Member

I agree with sniper 100%. No matter what the caliber or bullet type, shot placement is most important. I actually saw footage of a DEA instructor doing a demonstration in a school where he shot himself in the leg (accidently) with a G22, .40. He didn't seem all that hurt. Not to say that he wasn't hurt but, he first made sure everyone was ok, continued to tell about how you can never be too careful with firearms, and then after a couple of minutes, he left to seek medical attention.

Jim
  12. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i saw that too,it was the black guy
  13. Ruger.44

Ruger.44 New Member

Yep, the UC agent with the dread locks. I know an agent that actually worked with him in south FL. I understand he's one of the best.... guess his luck ran out.

I think the have the video of this on drunkendelight.com.

Jim
  14. obxned

obxned New Member

I like HP's in major calibers, but feel that in .380 or lesser, an FMJ insures enough penetration.