Adjustable Objective?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by upssmann, Apr 6, 2012.

1. upssmann

upssmann New Member

Can someone explaine what Adjustable Objective is and how dose it work, and do u adjust it for all diffrent yardages or if u are at 100yds to u keep it at 100 and if at 200yds you move it to 200 ect. ?
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

An Adjustable Objective lens on a scope is supposed to correct parallax errors at different ranges.
    The wikipedia entry on parallax describes the visual effect pretty good even though it's applying it to stars and telescopes instead of riflescopes and targets. Same concept.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax
    Basically...if you do not get a good consistent cheek weld to your rifle stock to keep your eye in the same place with every shot, the point of impact can change. This error is parallax and it will vary at different ranges. An AO is supposed to help correct the error.

I've had a few scope with them and never really thought that I had a benefit from the AO. More important is getting your scope mounted on your rifle in a position that allows you to get a consistent sight picture every time you mount the rifle.
  3. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

If the rifle is used for target practice at all different ranges, it is a must have if you want to get the most accuracy out of your rifle.

All of my rifles have scopes with AO and since having it, I wouldn't be without it.

You set your AO to 100 yards and then focus as best you can while aiming at something 100 yards away and all parallax should be removed. Then theoretically you should be able to set the AO to the range you are at and it should be focused and parallax free.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012