adjusting accutrigger on marlin .22 mag?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by midnight_cougar, Dec 21, 2007.

1. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

I have a marlin .22 mag bolt action. Has anyone adjusted the accutrigger? I am thinking about making it a hair trigger (my safety is always on unless i am about to shoot) There is suppost to be a screw in there that can be adjusted to make it have easier or harder trigger pull. I have no idea i just know it can be done. I can't find the manual. I will paint the screw and the set position so i can put it back to factory specs. Any help would be appreciated thanks everyone
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Cougar, Savage makes the Accu-Trigger. I don't think Marlin does. They make the T-900 trigger. I found a manual for your gun and it makes no mention of the trigger being adjustable.
    Here is a link to the Marlin website and it will take you to your model, Look at the bottom of the specifications and you can download a manual
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/22WinMagnum/982VS-cf.aspx
  3. midnight_cougar

When i bought my gun i was told it has an accutrigger. My friends brand new marlin 22mag has accutrigger engraved into the barrel, but mine does not. So one day we clean our guns i will have to see if there is a difference inside the guns. The trigger on mine is rather harder to pull then i would like.
    When my friend bought his he was told don't adjust it to far if you don't know what your doing.
    Thanx shooter, i didn't see anything on the site that said anything about it either
  4. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

"Accutrigger" is a trademarked Savage product. Won't find one on a Marlin......

You don't want a "hair trigger". Just one that breaks cleanly and crisply at reasonable weight. From your post I suspect yours is creepy, gritty and stagey. A good smith ought to be able to deal with most of this. >MW
  5. midnight_cougar

it's not really hard to pull i would just like it a lil easier, because i like to show-off and shoot pennys and empty 22lr shells. If is was easier it wouldn't move that lil bit and make me just clip the side. my friends mag does say accu-trigger on the barrel
  6. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

7. idocdave

idocdave New Member

It looks close

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  8. BillP

BillP New Member

It dosen't look like Marlin has made anything public about availability of the "pro-fire" trigger on rimfire rifles. I would expect it but what will Remington have to say. Who knows we may see a new "Rem. 700 pro-fire"?
  9. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

The Marlin in the photo sure looks like its got an AccuTrigger. I wonder if Marlin has acquired the rights to manufacture and use the Savage trigger? It would be interesting to know if they adjust in the same manner ... which, ironically, leads us back to Cougar's original question.
  10. BillP

BillP New Member

contenderiser,
    XL7 is very new and apparently only available in 25-06, 270, 30-06. No .22s yet. Considering the success Savage has had with their "Accutrigger" I am sure we can expect to see other bolt Marlins including .22s with "Pro-fire" triggers. With Remington having bought Marlin I'll bet we will see it on Remingtons as well. Factory triggers on guns have gotten really bad in recent years because it is expensive produce a good/safe conventional trigger. I for one am glad to see decent adjustable triggers on "out of the box" guns. :):):)
  11. Halwg

Halwg New Member

I have a Savage Model 93 with the Accutrigger. It comes with a little slotted wrench to make the adjustment. You have to remove the stock to get to the trigger adjustment and it DOES NOT allow what you call a hair trigger adjustment. The lightest on my gun is 2.5 lbs. I think some of the heavy-barrel models go to approx. 1.5 pounds. Accutrigger is definitely a trademarked Savage product.
  12. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

the Sav. Accu trigger has been acepted by the shooting crowd,you will now see every one getting on the band wagon with their own version, Like back when Marlin came out with the Micro-Groove rifling, next Mossberg came out with their Accu-Groove , their version, i think we are seeing the same thing here with the trigger. they may not be the same but will do about the same thing.:D--JMJ--
  13. nolacajun

nolacajun New Member

You didn't state what model your Marlin 22 mag was. Early bolt models were 783's...later updated to 883's, and current production is the 983. All three come with tubular magazines and slide in magazines. Makes no difference to the trigger which way it feeds.

You can easily stone the trigger/sear down to a much more acceptable trigger pull yourself with about 10 minutes work. If you want a pictorial breakdown on this, email me at goghoti@comcast.net and I'll send you breakdown on it, with instructions and recommendations on what to do, and to which pieces.

John
  14. Clatchmark

Clatchmark New Member

The 8xx rifles are available in any combination of magazines and actions. Each combination has it's own model number. That's a wonderful marketing strategy that I wish others would adopt. I chose the bolt action with the tubular magazine. I love this rifle. I put on a 4x scope. I am shaky and have poor vision (also left eye dominate, right handed) but I am able to shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I can't come close to this with any other rifle I have tried.
  15. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

This month's [April 2008 issue] Shooting Times magazine has a fairly detailed article on most of the new trigger mechanisms and describes the differences. One thing specifically mentioned was how alike the Marlin and Savage look externally, but how different they are in design internally.
  16. midnight_cougar

I am pretty sure my marlin mag is a 925M but i will have to check. I don't want to file anything down to far and have to replace something, so i want to make sure i don't do it to far. i was hoping it would just be something simple. hey john i will email you later.
    my email is madman_75_8@yahoo.com
  17. gunfarm1

gunfarm1 New Member

nolacajun, i too have a 925m marlin 22mag and want to adjust the trigger to lighten the pull a bit. the gun is about 2 years old. i am assuming the trigger on mine is the same as the ones listed on the marlin website, which is the t-900 trigger. I'd love your input on how to make the necessary adjustment. thanks.
  18. midnight_cougar

I wanted to check and still see if anyone could tell me what to file down 2 make it a lighter trigger pull? My gun is a marlin .22 mag model 925M microgroove barrel. I also borrowed a caliber to check and make sure i do it correctly and even. I'm just planning on filing it down a little and put it back together, shoot it a few times and do that over and over till it gets lighter but not to light. And make sure i do it correctly and not to much and screw up the gun.
    I get my new BSA 6-24x40 tomorrow. as long as my guns still accurate from those shells messing it up, and having to send it to marlin to get chamber work and a they changed some stuff on it and gave me a clip and also a new manual. it sucks i had to wait for the gunshop to send it back to them. But for $20 shipping it to them and all the stuff they changed, and a new clip, You cant go wrong with buying a marlin, it really tight ejecting shells again, just like brand new. That just proves that they'll do what they can. so after i shoot and and make sure its still accurate. I want to make the trigger pull lighter on it.
    Thank you
  19. midnight_cougar

Just an update:
    I love that scope, it's cheap and its clear and zooms up real good. It lined up pretty good. with the old bushnell u can keep 10 shots touching in a dime, maybe a few hanging out but it was good. Now its about a nickle-Quarter with 5 shots @50. That sunshade on it just makes it look awesome.

I just had one problem with it still, I forgot about it, just because i couldn't line it up before with that redhead i was getyting very frustrated. But when i go to load a shell, there getting stuck and wont go into the chamber until i push them down with my finger. I went thro a box of 50 trying to get that readhead scope sighted in. I went through about 14 shells today just to get really closely lined up just about 1cm high at 50yds. and just shooting cause i wanted to see how it groups. I'll get it out sometime

Should i talk to winchester and let them know whats goin on because of the ammo cracking? It already got sent to marlin for chamberwork, changed stuff, it was still getting stuck so they did more chamberwork. with a full clip they get stuck hard and wont move, down to 3 they are still getting stuck but they'll go in. Idk if marlin can fix it because they didn't, or if they didn't fill up the clip shooting it, but only put a few in to make sure they eject. BTW im using the remington polymer tips. I like the old green tips better than the brownish tan color they make now. I don't want to be out hunting anything, expectially coyotes and try to stick my finger in there before i can shoot again, but i bet my friends would get a kick out of it. lol So i don't know what my best bet would be.
  20. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

As a Marlin whore...I'm wondering if someone stuck a RifleBasix trigger in it
    and for some unknown reason called it an Accutrigger??

WE NEED PICS!!

Take pics of the action removed from the stock.

Post them here.

Then read this in the meantime.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197546