adopted 4 babies yesterday!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hunter29180, Aug 28, 2012.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

unexpected as we had no plans to adopt anything...

yesterday my neighbor came by..she began telling me of some strange crying sounds near her house, asked me to come find out what it was...

well when I got there, I could hear the sounds of a small amimal crying for its mama..as I approchaced a tree where I had spotted a pair of squirrles nesting last fall, I found BABY SQUIRRLES!! 4 of them, their eyes were not even open so not sure of their age, about 4 in long not counting tails!..2 were exhausted about 8-10 feet from the bottom of the tree, and 2 were about 1-2 feet from the ground,(these were still crying) neighbor said the sounds had been going on for a few hours..I backed off and scanned the trees for another hour..no MAMA around...now I know MAMA will fight to the death for their babies and I was concerned..then I saw a house cat sneaking up. I gathered all 4 of the babies up and brought them home.

they were very dehydrated, and cold, so first thing needed was to get them warmed up some. took a pair of scocks and a lb of rice to make a warmer. heat in microwave for 3 min wrap in a t-shirt anf placed in box, covered with another t-shirt. with in a few minutes all the babies were snuggling uo to it!

wife went to wally world and got 2 puupy bottles, can of puppy formula and a bottle of piedilite for babies. after a hour we got some of the Piedilite down all 4 and wiped thir buts till we got a bowel movement..we were worried about 2 of them as they were very weak. reheated the rice scoks and they all dropped off to sleep. this was about 8 pm..2 am I tried to rouse them to try to feed them some more..no luck, but all were still living!

at 7am tried again..all were still with us! got more piedilite and some puppy formula down all of them..reheated rice scok and they all curled up next to it.
    Lord willing they will survive till big enough to fend for them selves! then we can return them to nature as was intended..

heres a picture from this morning after being fed!

Attached Files:

2. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Great story, and I wish you a lotta luck with them.
  3. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

they actually make nice pets, if you dont mind cleaning up after them.
    i wish you were a little closer . i would give you a squirrel cage/house we made when we had 2 of them
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

well that was nice of u and wife to do and that was good idea with rice keep us informed please
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Hunter
    We raised a fawn years ago on undiluted baby formula concentrate. I told a lady who was having trouble with a baby squirrel about it and she tried it and it worked great. Our fawn would get diarreah from cow's milk and the baby squirrel did the same. The concentrated baby formula did the trick for both
  6. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

still alive! and regaining strength! wife said she will name them this weekend if all goes well! the first 48 hrs are the most dangerous for them and we are half way there! we will sex them tonight..but I think we have 3 girls and a boy..wife says 2 and 2..we will see for sure tonight!

this will be the 3rd ..well 3-7th squirrels we have rescued and raised..but the first time for more than one! takes me 30 min to feed and clean all 4....boy can they wiggle!!

Gabob, the first time we did this..a wildlife rescue urged us to use puppy formula as that was what they used for all animal babies from the wild, so far never had the diarreah, they also told us abour the rice!

it makes a very good heat pack the stays warmer than a hot water bottle without the chance of a spill. we used them for a lot of baby animals since then! they are easy to make in any size needed. for a pad just sew "tunnels" lengthwise in it, fill loosely with rice and sew closed! heat in microwave no more than 3 min. usually you will need to wrap with a towel so its not too hot. do not leave unattended in microwave as it can catch fire though! Great for those muscle aches we all get!
  7. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Awesome rescue, hope they all make it through. Keep us updated i'd like to see some photos as they get bigger.
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Im happy to hear that they are alright. Your doing the right thing
  9. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

You and your wife have done a good thing.
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Some one on this forum has one as a pet. He posted pix of it some time back. Good luck with this project.
  11. 01brian

01brian New Member

wow, great story. That's a tough thing, you are doing great so far.
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wish i was there to help
  13. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

Sorry, the devil made me post this. :dontknow:

Super Quick and Easy, Super Delicious, Tender Squirrel and Mexican Rice (or Spicy Squirrel and Rice for short)

INGREDIENTS
    1-3 squirrels depending on their size (but probably depending more on yours) cleaned and quartered
    3-8 sliced mushrooms (optional)
    1 package of Spanish rice mix (I used Carolina brand which serves three or four and costs under a dollar, but I know there are others)
    2 tablespoons of butter
    2 cups of water
    Sriracha Sauce (aka rooster sauce, cock sauce, ketchup for grownups) -enough to cover your squirrel meat.

Note: The rice mix I used called for 1 2/3 cups of water, and 1 tablespoon of butter, but I added a little of each for the mushrooms and squirrel.

PREPARATION
    1. Marinate your squirrel in Sriracha Sauce. I covered mine in sauce and left it in the fridge for about 8 hours, but you can also freeze meat in sauce to marinate it, so that it's ready to go when it thaws. If you don't know what Sriracha sauce is, then you are in for two treats. Sriracha is great stuff.
    2. Put the water in a pot, and the butter in the water, and boil it.
    3. When the water boils add your squirrel, and stir it until the water boils again. You can shake the sauce off of it if you want it more mild, or you can add all the sauce with it if you want it spicier. Don't let me tell you how to live your life.
    4. When the water boils again; pour in your rice mix, and add your sliced mushrooms (if you like mushrooms), or whatever else you think is good in Spanish rice. Black beans, tomatoes, onoins... that sort of thing.
    5. Cover the pot, turn the heat to low, and let it simmer for 20 minutes. I like to stir rice mixes once after about 10 minutes to mix all the flavors, and it seemed to work well for this too.
    6. Serve and eat.
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

shame on u they are babies
  15. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

:devilish:Doggoneit Monte, Beth's right. You shoulda knowed better. Wouldn't hardly fill a tortilla. Gotta raise 'em up big and fat. Then squirrel fajitas for the whole family.:devilish: