1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

adopted 4 babies yesterday!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hunter29180, Aug 28, 2012.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Good for you. You're doing the right thing. My wife did that whole saving orphaned bunny thing. Bottle feeding and all. Hoppy, Jumpy and Bighead Spike. Never would tell me where she released them. :confused:
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The site below gives you what and how to feed them. I was surprised to see that puppy formula is what to use with some heavy cream.

http://www.squirreltales.org/
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

good site apttango30, however the brand recommended is no longer the correct one! It was found to be contaminated and killed many puppys as well as rescued animals, the company was found to have known about the contamination but not only sold the known contaminated lots, but continued to use the same contaminated source for more batches in the name of profit. so do not use Esbilac brand formula for any baby animal!
  4. hunter29180

we sexed them last night and we have 3 baby girls and 1 boy! wife is consitering naming them after the chipmonks! with the boy as Alvin!

the grand kids will be informed of the addition of the new family members this weekend! our plans are to release them when we are sure they can fend for themselves. we are concerned about how late in the season it is so that may be in the spring. course i reminded her we always feed the squirrels and birds starting in november so food would not be a problem..but shelter for them outside would be.

so it may be spring before our babies are ready to leave the nest. course spring is when the mating season starts and the males get really agressive so that would be good for Alvin as he should be in better health than the other males near here. and the girls should be better able to find a better nesting site. course wife has informed me I will need to put up at least 4 nest boxes near the house and hope they choose them. the nest boxes will be of the same type they will use during the winter with us so they will reconize what they are!

the last squirrel we raised, Peanut, stayed near our house for 2 years and sometimes visited us as we sat on the porch. He always came up chattering at us and we always kept raw peanuts for him. he would hide under wifes hair and sit on our shoulders and eat his peanuts. it was funny to watch his mate in the tree scolding him the whole time he "visited". he always took the last peanut with him when the visit was over, we always said it was for her that he took the last nut away...
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Hunter, that is a great story -

GOOD FOR YOU!!!
  6. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Great !!
    Glad they are doing well
  7. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:p awe! they are so cute!
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

how about a picture of u feeding them?
  9. hunter29180

here you go Beth!

all 4 being woke up for feeding..as near as we can determin they are 4-5 wks old..and wife feeding Alvin..

Attached Files:

10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow how cute is that you made my day grinning ear to ear thanks
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

keep up the good work
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

are their eyes open?
  13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Cute. Will be watching this story. Thanks for sharing.
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

how r the kids doing
  15. hunter29180

update on the kids..they are starting to volicalize now..beyond squelling when scared or in pain..this morning Alvin sat up and "chuckled" at me when I was changing out the bed clothes in their box...and when feeding them 2 of the girls were "chuckeling" also! guess that sound means they are happy! they also squeek at me when they hear my voice.

they took a really good amount of formula for their feeding this morning..almost 3ml for each one..course Alvin is the hog, taking 3.75ml...alternating formuls with peidiolite for the feeding to ensure good hydration now. they are starting to gain weight now so that indicated they are adjusting well! their eyes should open sometimes next week and will update with picture when they open!

Bridget and Sophie, our 2 Chweenies, are so intrested..cant trust Sophie though she wants to take them out of our hands. Bridget wants to lick them..but still dont trust her with then either..we hope the dogs will accept the babies as a addition to the family.

I had a Manchester that had pups and she nursed a baby squirrel and a kitten with her pups...she was very protective of her odd children..she would cry when the squirrel would climb a tree!