adopted 4 babies yesterday!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hunter29180, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Great !!
    Glad they are doing well
  2. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:p awe! they are so cute!
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

how about a picture of u feeding them?
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

here you go Beth!

all 4 being woke up for feeding..as near as we can determin they are 4-5 wks old..and wife feeding Alvin..

Attached Files:

5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow how cute is that you made my day grinning ear to ear thanks
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

keep up the good work
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

are their eyes open?
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Cute. Will be watching this story. Thanks for sharing.
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

how r the kids doing
  10. hunter29180

update on the kids..they are starting to volicalize now..beyond squelling when scared or in pain..this morning Alvin sat up and "chuckled" at me when I was changing out the bed clothes in their box...and when feeding them 2 of the girls were "chuckeling" also! guess that sound means they are happy! they also squeek at me when they hear my voice.

they took a really good amount of formula for their feeding this morning..almost 3ml for each one..course Alvin is the hog, taking 3.75ml...alternating formuls with peidiolite for the feeding to ensure good hydration now. they are starting to gain weight now so that indicated they are adjusting well! their eyes should open sometimes next week and will update with picture when they open!

Bridget and Sophie, our 2 Chweenies, are so intrested..cant trust Sophie though she wants to take them out of our hands. Bridget wants to lick them..but still dont trust her with then either..we hope the dogs will accept the babies as a addition to the family.

I had a Manchester that had pups and she nursed a baby squirrel and a kitten with her pups...she was very protective of her odd children..she would cry when the squirrel would climb a tree!
  11. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo New Member

Raised Hammy from a Baby (rescued her from a cat). tried to release her back into the wild but she kept coming back. Have had her for 5 years now, she's part of the family . Your gonna Have your hands full when they get a little older, they love to play. I keep hammy in her own Florida room and made a big tower with 5 rooms in it (squirrel trade center) Good Luck to you and let me know if I can help.

Attached Files:

12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

God bless you both.
    Animal rescue is saintly
    and reveals ones' true heart.
    You too, jimbo.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  13. hunter29180

update today..one of the girls has both eyes open today! and on the down side another one has started weezing some..we had to do a bit of reasearch to find out what to give to her..amoxil was suggested by a rescue group...it seems to be working, we noticed the weezing last night and she got the first dose about 11pm last night, so after 3 doses its better, she just got the 4th dose a few minutes ago and will stay on it till monday at the earliest..

we hope all of the babies have their eyes open next week and look forward to updating with pictures about that time. we also picked up a calicum supplement with vit d3 to prevent metabolic bone disease as the formulas dont containt enough calicum. they will begin recieving this supplement towards the end of next week till they are released back into the wild. with their eyes opening we have moved them into a small amimal crate to give them some room to moves about..the girls have already figured out which end opens for feeding! and if I dont come fast enough one will squeal real loud and as I apprach the cage, all 3 of the girls are at the gate noses and hands pressed through the openings! they are all getting active and will continue to do so. we expext to have to move them into a extra large crate that was loaned and delivered to us by another rescue group in about 2-3 weeks. am hunting semi green branches to install in this large crate for climing, play and chewing.

thats all for now will update soon! and thank you for all the encouragement from all of you! Wife said thanks for most of the recipies we recieved! while none of these babies will never grace our table, I am a avid hunter of their cousins. but not on our property as we feed those around us just to have the enjoyment of their company! they are one of Gods best efforts in our eyes.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  14. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Looks like monkeys climbing all over you! :) Glad you stepped up and took care of them. We need to help our world's conservation when we can. Letting 4 babies die would be a waste IMO.
  15. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

I guess I'm the only one here who read the OP and felt sorry for the cat? :devilish:
  16. hunter29180

The cat was not harmed in any way...it is a neighbors cat and gets fed very well. but like most cats sometimes it just cant resist!

and update for today...Alvin has his eyes open today!! and the girl who was wheesing is almost well again! 4 more days on the med to make sure though!

we feel lucky that we have not lost any of them.. especally since 2 of them were so cold and had stopped moving before I gathered them up. the one that got sick was one of those 2.

they all are crawling out from their sleeping place and using the bathroom on a puppy pad in the far end of their cage. its amazing how quickly they soak one of those pads..at least cleanup is easy!:)

will post pictures as soon as the last 2 girls get their eyes open!
  17. hunter29180

update..another one opened her eyes this morning!! only one left to go...
    Alvin was not feeling good yesterday and squeeled when ever he was put in the cage...he spent most of the day curled up in my shirt pocket..he would sleep a bit the wake up, poke his head out and "talk to me for about 10 min..Bridget laid down beside us on the recliner and whenever he came out would sniff and watch him..he grabbed Bridgets nose and sniffed right back! Poor Bridgets eyes got real big, but she held still till he let go...then Sophie, our other dog ,got up with us..Bridget growled at her whenever Sophie got too close to Alvin....guess she was protecting Alvin from Sophie....
  18. 01brian

01brian New Member

Thanks for the updates! Great work!
  19. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Time for some more pictures
  20. hunter29180

todays update!! Finally the last one opened her eyes!! was feeding her lunch and half way through one eye opened!!! by the time she had finished feeding the othe eye opened...she sat back and rubbed her eyes and just sat there looking at me...then as if deciding I was ok she "chuckeled" at me and peed on my shirt......or else she was sending another message, but I choose to think she decided I was OK!

they are starting to develope individual personalitys now, and I am starting to see minor diffrences in their markings.. wife has been waiting for their personalitys to develop as she decided to wait to name the girls so the names would reflect them better! She decided the chippets name may not fit them and is consitering other names..

Alvins name does fit him very well..inqusitive, bossy and pushy!!and of course completly Loveable!!

so if you wish to help and suggest a name or have questions on their behaviour jus go ahead and suggest or ask away!! After all this Forum has been a help raising them and we consiter each of you kinda like Godparents to each of them!

we will be working on getting some good pictures of each of them this weekend. so look for the new pictures later!!