adopted 4 babies yesterday!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hunter29180, Aug 28, 2012.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

a few more! I'm kinda like a new mommy gushing over her new baby...but I am very gratefull the Lord allowed me to be a small part of these babies life!

Attached Files:

2. hunter29180

OK just 2 more pictures! one of these shows just how big they hag grown! remember when we adopted them they were only about 3 in long including their tail! now they are all over 12 in long to the tip of their tails!

Attached Files:

3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Great pictures, thanks for sharing your experience. I am anxiously following.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Very enjoyable to follow along ....
    Thanks for sharing.
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice pictures. Enjoying the ongoing story; thanks for sharing.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

boy have they gotten big how long u gonna hang on to them?
  7. KenV

KenV Former Guest

Ummmm, I'm not trying to contradict you, but "In God We Trust" was NOT chosen by the Founding Fathers. It did not become the offical motto until 1956. The unoffiical motto before that was "E Pluribus Unum".

The first known reference to the phrase was in the poem which became our national anthem. The 4th stanza contains the phrase "In God is Our Trust".

Just thought I'd set the record straight.

And BTW, those squirrels are CUTE! What a great service you are a providing. They are going to be a major mess to clean up after as they grow up, but hopefully they will stick around after they are returned to the wild and provide years of enjoyment. Thank you so much for sharing.
  8. hunter29180

Beth..wife is worried about releasing them at this time of year as they will not have shelter or time to build a winter food supply. so I am bowing to her wisdom and we plan to release them come spring!
  9. denny 714

denny 714 Member

That was a Great thing you and the wife did !!!.....
  10. hunter29180

new update! they are all self weaned now. 2nd day in a row that all 4 have refused the formula. they are on a commerical mix of wild squirrel feed, hamster/rat feed, dry raw peanuts in the shell and fresh veggies/fruit! we go in in the morning and let them out for about 30-45 min and in the evening 45-60 min. they use wife and I like a pair of trees, jumping from the top of the cage to one of us then to the other one, scampering over boxes and on my desk. (wife said I have to clear off desk and shelf above this week end so the squirrels will have more room and not be in danger from my leathercraft tools and chemical stuff) they also climb up and down both our legs and sometimes chase each other around our bodies and from one of us to the other and back again. I have started wearing a light jacket to protect my neck and arms as they were playing so hard their claws were drawing blood from all the pinpricks and scratches on them. of course they soon made my jacket part of the game also (since i left it open in the front) by running under the jacket and around to the other side under my arm and then "jumping out" at one of the other squirrels as they come running by! one "hides" under wifes hair and does the same on her!

they hate to go back into their cage now and it sometimes takes me a hour to get all 4 back in. course they think its a game to see how many can "escape" when I try to get one inside the cage! when wife can help in the evening it takes less time but all 4 still act like its a game.

so the decision is still up to the wife. turn them loose or keep over the winter. we have had 2 wild squirrels hanging about in a tree outside the window where the babies are kept. their cage has one end facing the window and of course they see the babies when they are out and playing in the room. we have started to put some feed in the squirrel feeded outside as its getting down into the 40's overnight now. wife keepsmbringing it up and I keep telling her we will do what she wants to do in this matter.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's going to be hard to let them go.
  12. hunter29180

this has been a worrying weekend..the squirells chewed a hole in their crate..this was friday night..took me a hour to fix it. then sun morning they had chewed 2 more holes in it..wouldnt be so bad but we rent and we cant take the chance they would damage the room or house. SO..we set the crate out sunday morning..within 15 minutes all 4 were out of sight in the woods.. we left crate, just in case they came back.....along about 8 pm I checked and 2 were back..they were not recptive to being brought in so had to leave them out..I really worried as I could see they were cold...

Monday morning went out and put food in and extra peanuts...also added several old t-shirts for them to bundle up in. went and got some duck tape and cardboard to block off most of the air holes..to keep wind from blowing through and help keep them warmer...checked around 9 pm and again at least 2 were back..they had made use of the extra t-shirts and looked to be warmer and in a better mood..we decided to leave them out..

this morning went and added food and changed water..they were already out and about..we decided we would maintain the crate for them till they no longer come back..and maintain feed all through the winter for them.

i didnt realize how attached to them I had become..we did not spend a lot of time handleing them as we didnt want them to bond strongly to us..a hr in the morning and again a hr in the evening..they are not afraid of wife and I but neither can we just walk up and handle them..strangers they hide from so guess that part of the plan worked...still worry about them as the storm (sandy) had brought some wind and cold air to us. mid to high 30's at night.
    high 50's to mid 60's daytime. wind chill monday night was 29....

SIGH! feels like whem our real kids left home...wonder and worry..but this is worse as I find my self scanning the trees and woods for them as I walk the dogs..so close but not to be found...

unless we find one or two just keep comming back this will be the end on this thread..The good Lord allowed these babies to enrich our live for such a short time..but guess he was telling us it was time to let them finish becoming real squirrels..

thank you all for your comments and support...say a little prayer for them to make it through the winter. and please join us in thanking the Lord for his Blessings in allowing us to have a part of his creatures life.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  13. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    You have a lot of enjoyable memories coming your way. God bless you.
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Wow.....You and Beth shared them for a while...
    and no words can fill your void....
    It was so enjoyable to follow along, and now
    I too miss them and pray they are warm and safe.
    Thank you.
  15. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

It's been a joy to follow along hunter. Thanks for spending the time to share it with us. Your lives are richer having had such an opportunity and accepting the responsibility. The things that money can't buy.