Advice for a new complete newby?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Desertmonky, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Desertmonky

Desertmonky New Member

I am seeking advice on what kind of pistol to purchase? I am a complete novice when it comes to pistols and this will actually be the first time I own a pistol. The reason why I can’t decide what pistol to purchase is because of what it’s going to be used for. I need a good home defense weapon at a decent price my salary doesn’t allow a lot of side spending, and it has to be something that my wife can use. I have been looking at walthers P22, but after reading the discussion on weather a 22LR is good for stopping someone, I am all out of ideas. If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it.
  2. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Hey Desertmonkey welcome to the forum. For self defense most people will say that a .380 is the minium caliber and I tend to agree. The best option is for you and your wife to go to a gun range that has rentals and try out several to find one that "fits" the both of you. That being said I will also give my .02 cents. For new shooters a revolver is a great option, especially one chambered for the .357 magnum because a revolver chambered for .357 mag will also fire .38 special which will allow for you to keep your revolver loaded with a very potent self defense round (.357 mag) but allow you to practice with the lower recoil .38 special round. As an added bonus revolvers are very trust worthly and in a stressful situation (home defense) can be counted on. Taurus makes some fine revolvers in my opinion for a very fair price (around 300.00 to 400.00 dollars). Again this is just my .02 cents the best option is to go out and find what works for you.
  3. pawn

pawn New Member

if your purchasing purpose is soley for home defense, you may also want to consider a shotgun in place of a pistol. it's tough to beat a good pump-action scatter gun for things that go bump in the night ...low recoil birdshot- just point and "click"
  4. Desertmonky

Desertmonky New Member

Thanks for the advice guys im already looking into what taurus has to offer, just to be more specific i already own a benelli nova so im looking for something that she can handle. to make things more difficult she is 5 foot tall and weighs about a buck 5 so she is pretty small. so specifficaly this weapon would be for her, since im deployed all the time...
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Based on what you're saying, I would suggest you take a look at a .357 revolver by Taurus or Ruger with a 4" barrel. Since it's just for the home--and for a lightweight wife--you're going to be fine with a gun that is a bit heavier (the extra weight cuts down on the felt recoil, so she'll be more likely to not hate the thing). If the recoil is still too much, you can just load it with .38 Special +p. ("+p" indicates an over-pressure round. This would be lighter than a .357, but it's still a good self-defense option. You're fine to use any .38 Special ammo in a .357, but not vice versa)

Here's Ruger's GP100:
    http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1705&return=Y

And here's Taurus' Model 65:
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=273&category=Revolver

Both manufacturers are very reputable anymore. If you're buying a new arm, either would be great.
  6. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

I agree with pawn ive got a 12 gauge by the bed and a snub nosed .38 special on the night stand