ADVICE! Gunshow or Auction?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/22/01 8:22:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All ADVICE! Gunshow or Auction?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, this weekend is the Indy 1500 show, my wife wants me out of the house to "fall clean", AND I got about $220 to spend (Wonder O' Wonders!, Thank you, LORD!)

Then I see in the SGN I got today is there is an estate firearms auction about two hours away, 121 guns and accessories...

Check out the listing, www.ellenbergerbros.com/1...20(RF).htm

...and tell me if you think it's worth a shot to go with my meager pittance and take a chance that most of the collectors are in Indy...

You guys will see the stuff I'm interested in...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

TallTLynn
    (10/22/01 8:30:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ADVICE! Gunshow or Auction?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh man - I'm drooling on seeing that list.

You could take the chance that all the big gun dealers were at the Indy show. Just seeing that Chinese AK had me all hot and bothered.

Bob In St Louis
    (10/22/01 8:36:05 pm)
    Dang - some good stuff there. The Astra Model 400 is from the Spanish Civil War period, circa 1938 or 1939. If it has the plain, uncheckered wood grips, that would be from the "expedited" production era - they normally bring a little more premium than the others. Looks like an assortment of SKSs, Moisin Nagants, and M1 carbines too. Also noticed one FN49 in 8mm - hhhmmm - if I had the money, I would go to the auction rather than the gun show.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    (10/22/01 9:14:37 pm)
    If I scrape the cookie jar, and empty the coin jug without telling my wife I might have $250...

I think the PROBLEM may be I just may get lucky early, then cry later when something BETTER goes cheap...

Sometimes I think the only thing worse than NO money is a LITTLE money...don't have to make any decisions when you are "window shopping..."

Hey Bob, it's just south of Ft. Wayne, I can make it to StL in 5 hours, and that was BEFORE you could go 75mph on the interstates...you could leave at, say, 3:30am, still have time for coffee/donuts/pit stops and meet me there at 9:00 am, it's even the same time zone until Sunday when you guys switch back to "real" time...

Just take 70E to Indy, 465N to 69N, then 124E for about 10 miles and you're there... Piece of cake...

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Bob In St Louis
    (10/23/01 7:12:28 am)
    The only problem is that with no income right now, no buying either. I had ordered the shipment of 15 rifles from SOG right before I got terminated, and I am hoping to do some serious selling at the gun show in Washington Missouri the first weekend in November.

the real fredneck
    (10/23/01 7:59:16 am)
    Bob
    What's the location of the show in Washington? my boy might be interested in one of your Brazilian mausers in 30/06 if you still have them

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 8:12:45 am)
    Hey polish one of the items was a "Russian Garand" item # 93. I've never heard of one of those. This sounds like a heck of a collection. I wish I wasn't working Saturday, I could get my father in law to take a road trip from Milan Indiana with me.

Edited by: 17th FA Bn at: 10/23/01 9:16:21 am

tuckerd1
    (10/23/01 9:28:27 am)
    Go to the Auction! Take your cel phone and I'll place phone bids through you! Saw several pieces I would like to have. Long drive from 'Bama though.

You probably have a better chance getting a good deal at the auction.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

polishshooter
    (10/23/01 9:53:39 am)
    I'm guessing the "Russian Garand" is an SVT Tokarev or Simonov...that and the "7mm Jap Rifle," and other stuff, makes me think the auctioneer DOESN'T know military, because if you notice, the descriptions on the US commercial stuff are generally better than the foriegn, or military stuff...MIGHT be a good sign...

If I'm going to place "Phone bids" for anyone," you better give me your credit card #, God knows I can't float anybody right now...plus then I can charge my commission, finder's, and handling fees...

But I WILL have my phone with me, if you want, anybody can private e-mail me their home phone # to me, and you can be my "lifelines" on Saturday morning's "Who Want's to Be a Gun Collector" show...

Bob In St Louis
    (10/23/01 12:36:05 pm)
    Fredneck - the show in Washington Mo. on Nov. 3 & 4 is at the Washington City Park. I still have the M1908/34 and the M1954 carbine.

Show times are 9:00AM to 5:00PM Saturday, 9:00AM to 3:00PM Sunday.

polishshooter
    (10/23/01 12:40:16 pm)
    BTW, what is a Model 1943 Swedish Mauser? Rifle or Carbine?

the real fredneck
    (10/23/01 12:47:44 pm)
    polishshooter
    I would guess it to be a bent-bolt Husky carbine

RobC in Missouri
    (10/23/01 2:54:10 pm)
    Hey Bob - I'm gonna try to make the WashMo show also, if I can find it again (I lucked into it last time, right as I was about to give up). Any chance you have any Finn Mosins left? <grin>

RobC in Missouri

Bob In St Louis
    (10/23/01 8:10:33 pm)
    No - I don't have any more of the Finns. In fact, I don't have any M91s left! Got five 91/30s, and one strange 91/30 that may be a Dragoon Model - doesn't have the top wood handguard, and the barrel band rings are smaller circumfrance holding the barrel directly to the stock. Other than that, a lot of M44s.

gpostal
    (10/24/01 5:19:54 pm)
    boy polish that's a no brainer "auction" ,at least it has my vote ,gunshow season is coming and they are sometimes the same-ol-same-ol ,I have always done good at estate auctions ,wait till everyone has spent their wad then it starts going cheap ,my self I wait till last call to join in the bidding ,seams to work out well that way ,of course I have to keep eyes on the wife ,I have caught her bidding against me from across the room before

besides gun shows are usually two days and if the auction don,t turn out go home make a mess ,maybe she will kick you out a second time

good luck either way

(10/24/01 8:34:11 pm)
    There are two or three on that list that I would like to get my hands on. OK, OK, more than that but only enough $$$$ for two or three.

RobC, I got Bob's last M91. The 1941 VKT I was telling you about.

Now I have to decide whether to go 2 and 1/2 hours to Springfield, MO to a gun show or 7 and 1/2 hours to the auction.

David.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government".....Thomas Jefferson

AntiqueDr
    (10/24/01 8:50:06 pm)
    I got to looking at that list and starting check flight itineraries. Cant get there for less that $500 round trip, so that's out.

Damn.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    (10/25/01 7:22:10 pm)
    You are NOT going to believe this...the PO in my town had an ANTHRAX scare Wednesday, so mail is delayed, got an expense check delayed some of which was money I spent on equipment for work from my own collection kitty, plus about $70 people owe me from auctions I was counting on, right now I got about a whole $70 in the kitty...mail BETTER run tomorrow or I'm going to REALLY get pissed off on all this white powder sky is falling hysteria!!!!

polishshooter
    (10/25/01 7:33:12 pm)
    BTW, anybody going to the auction, take exit 5 North (Huntington)off of I69, go about a 1/2 mile NORTH to a flashing light, turn right (East) on 124 which goes back under 69, stay on that road for 12 miles until you get to Bluffton, follow signs (Don't be talking on a cell phone here, you'll get lost like I did), until you hit Rt 1 (Main Street)turn right (South, for the men ) go about three or four blocks south of the center of town, (Small town!) turn right (West) on Spring Street at the red light, (CVS on SE corner) and go about 200 feet, Wells County Park entrance on left, building is first big one you come to on right...

(I had to be in Ft. Wayne Wednesday, so I scouted it out on the way up... )

I'll big the big Polish looking guy with glasses in a green jacket looking covetously at the military stuff...

PS. If you are planning to bid on the stuff I want, keep in mind we MAY be getting snow this weekend, so maybe you better not chance it...

Edited by: polishshooter at: 10/25/01 8:36:28 pm

polishshooter
    (10/26/01 8:14:18 pm)
    Well, I'm going....only got about $160 to spend, I HATE slow pays from auctions, if I miss out on something I want by $60 or so I will leave some CHOICE feedback...

Leaving at 5:00 am, they are opening for inspection at 7:00 AM, bidding starts at 9:00.

Haven't been to a gun auction in awhile, how long do you think it will take for 121 guns?

Edited by: polishshooter at: 10/26/01 9:16:27 pm