Advice needed M-48 Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, Jan 20, 2006.

1. I am considering the purchase of an M-48 8mm Mauser rifle from Mitchell's Mausers. I would appreciate any input you folks might have on this weapon (and its seller!) before I decide on whether or not to purchase it. Mitchell offers it in two grades (discounting the museum grade which I don't need). One is collector grade, priced at $299, and the other is premium grade, priced at $499. Which would be the better choice, and is what is being offered a decent, dependable weapon? I'm not certain at present what I will do with the rifle, assuming I go ahead with the purchase. One choice would be to sportarize it into a more usable hunting rifle, the other simply to keep it as a "historical shooter." Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.mitchellsales.com/
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Why not just buy a Mauser action, as I have several times, and make the weapon you want. I have one in .257 Roberts AI and one in .35 Whelen AI. Both actions were purchased for less than $50 from a dealer with the barrel shot out.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  4. polishshooter

Sorry, SOG has none listed on-line, but they had some in the flier I think. AIM has them though for $119.99...if I was going to sporterize one I would go to an FFL and see if he would order one for you for an additional $20 or so, if you're going to cut it anyway, might as well save the $150 or so!
  5. Toney

Toney Member

century has got cracked stock dark bore M48's for $69

One of the 98-48 german k98's that have been remarked by the yugo's are a lot slicker then the m48's classic arms has got some of them for $148
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  6. Thanks a bunch for the input, guys. OK, let me narrow this a bit then. Let's assume I don't intend to sportarize but keep the weapon military original. Is the deal offered by Mitchell's a good one or a bad one?
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

They've also got Schmidt-Rubin K-31s for $89 in Good condition with no cracked stocks. I picked up a walnut '43 before Christmas.
  8. polishshooter

WELL, from what I've SEEN and heard, the Mitchells guns ARE quality pieces, but STILL not that much better than a good "+$10 hand-select" from any of the other jobbers to be worth THAT much more...
  9. Hey folks, since these rifles are over 50 years old, why can't they be sold as relics without going through the background check, FFL transfer crapola? Just curious.
  10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Even though the law says "50 years" the ATF maintains a list of guns designated as "C&R" on their website. A lot of people only go by what is on the website, as those are the ones they KNOW the ATF won't hassle them about.
  11. polishshooter

The only firearms that can be transferred as "antiques" without any paper are those manufactured prior to 1898 generally, and I think there is a SPECIFIC month in 1898 to be exact...plus any NEWER guns that ammunition is "not readily available" that our wonderful and benevolent government SOMETIMES (RARELY :mad: ) classifies specifically as an "antique" on their list (i.e., a "non-firearm)

Even if it IS a 'Curio or Relic" it still has to be transferred via FFL or at least a CRFFL, the 50 year old is again GENERALLY the cutoff to be considered a C&R which means we Crufflers can buy it via our CRFFL, (with MANY exceptions... :mad: ) but non-licensees still have to buy via another "real" FFL holder...

Other NEWER guns as well may make the C&R list as well, again usually specifically to a particular gun submited for inspection, or general categories on the C&R list, such as "All Military bolt action rifles..."

Now that I have THOROUGHLY confused you, (Join the club, get an FFL and SEE how confused you can get!)the short answer is "50 years" means nothing EXCEPT to C&RFFL holders.....and even then very little unless it's also on the list, although many Crufflers swear by the letter that floats around the internet where some ATF office declared ANY firearm over 50 years old as a C&R, but knowing how many times I've gotten CONTRADICTING advice and interpretations from different ATF offices, I ALWAYS just stick to "the list..." AGAIN, because of how much I TRUST that same "wonderful and benevolent Government" of ours....
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  12. polishshooter

And John and I posted at the same time AGAIN! But yours was shorter, and less confusing, John!
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Kinda tells you something, doesn't it, Polish? [grin]
  14. polishshooter

Does it have something to do with "incessant?" :p
  15. Toney

Toney Member

Century has cracked stock dark bore 48's for $69 for 90 - 120 you can get a pretty nice one, stocks are crude { have'nt been sanded } but the metal is great