Advice on a bulls eye league gun for the wife .22

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by ronzxcvb, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ronzxcvb

ronzxcvb New Member

Ok a little on her she has carpel tunnel and likes the smaller 22s was going to get her a Walters p22 or a new revolver for mother’s day. She complains every time I take her into a gun store but when I’m ready to go I have to wait for her and she is usually looking at the walthers. At the range she likes a small Arminus revolver 6” barrel the best (looks like crap bluing all messed up p.o. must have stored it in its case)
    we were at a gun store yesterday and she liked a Rugar mark 3 22/45 with a polymer frame ($399) the steel frame was too heavy for her one nice thing was it came with the scope mount plate and she will be using a red dot no matter what gun she goes with
    Can’t afford to go much over $400 for gun + scope mount bulls eye is one handed so weight is a major consideration in what gun she goes with & she is not real competitive she just wants to do it for fun
    I already have a buckmark about $40 for a mount them give her a Walters p22 or a Rugar sr22 for mother’s day but the more I think about it I really liked how the mark 3 felt I have a mark 2 witch I don’t care for but has sentimental value so can’t sell it but could sell the buckmark that I always loved
    What else should I be sure to check out before making my decision?
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Your wife most likely will not be competitive with a revolver in a bullseye league. She will do fine in slow fire and timed fire, but the rapid fire stage will trip her up. If she doesn't care about the score and is shooting just for fun, a revolver will be fine.

As far as a .22 automatic, I'd go with whatever gun she is comfortable shooting. The Ruger is a popular gun with a good reputation. Good luck.
  3. ronzxcvb

ronzxcvb New Member

When I shot league before there was 1 guy that had some of the best scores every week with a revolver but for us we defiantly need semi autos
    called around and found a store that had all three brands in so she can compare them at the same time
    Some models were considering are
    Smith & Wesson 5.5” barrels 22a (32-34.4oz) and 22a with bull barrel (35,3oz)
    Beretta neos u22 6” (36.2oz) 4.5” (31.7 oz)
    Ruger mark 3 22/45 (only the 1911 styles) 5.5” (33oz)
    Did I overlook any? or avoid any of them ?
    I’m assuming she would have to go with the 5.5”-6”barrels
    But some models come with 4.5” barrels witch cuts the weight down a few ounces but I’m assuming at the cost of accuracy
  4. ronzxcvb

ronzxcvb New Member

Would any of the 1911 style 22s be accurate enough chiappa sig etc.?
  5. langenc

langenc Member

You didnt say if she has small hans or not.
    I finally saw one of those Browning 1911-22s-they are 85% or so the size of a 45. A nice gun for a small hand-accuracy?? Red dot adaptable??
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have a walther p22 that i love i also shot a mark 111 with a red dot and 1st time i shot it got 10 out of 10 at 22yds those are the two i like
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The short simple answer is to get her a Ruger 22/45. Their triggers are not match quality, but their barrels are as good as the best. A better trigger does not sighnificantly help a person with a poor mastery of trigger control. For about $150.00 you can get a Volquartsen match trigger, sear, hammer, etc. kit installed. With this done a Ruger is a Master level match pistol.

Some used Mk II's (the ugly duckling) can be had for about $200; but you will be better off with a MK III, because it comes with a scope mount for fitting a Red Dot (1" Ultra-Dot recommended) for Bullseye league shooting. {If one is shooting 400/600 or 600/900 in a league with irons; a good Red Dot will likely increase your scores to 500/600 or 750/900. Personally, I do not like Red Dots; but usually use one because they do significantly increase scores for almost all shooters, especially in Rapid Fire.}

You can spend a lot more money and not get as good a pistol as a Ruger. It has been in production almost 63 years; and is less expensive today (in inflation corrected dollars) than it was 55 years ago. Unless you are actually averaging shooting 93% scores with a Ruger or similar price point pistol; you are wasting your money to go to a $2000.00 pistol.
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. Blurr

Blurr Former Guest

I used a browning Buckmark, great gun, fit my hand well.
    Lots used the Ruger Mark 3, good pistol capable of holding its own just fine, not me though, the way it fit my hand was completely wrong, so whatever firearm you choose make sure she is comfortable with it :)
  9. deadeyedink63

deadeyedink63 New Member

I own the Ruger mkll it's to heavy for your wife buddy had a sig 22 mosquito, trigger to hard for anyone, another friend had a walther 22 great gun good everything ergonomics but I will have to give it too the Ruger SR22 just got the first one in my hand it's has all the good things the walther has at a much better price shoots like a dream very accurate great trigger pull, light weight, everything a woman needs in a plinker, oh yea put some aguilla ammo in it, hope it helps good luck,