Advice taken......

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by .308 shooter, Aug 13, 2008.

1. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks for all that responded to the COMPLETE NEWBIE threads. I'm taking your advice and definitely doing my homework before I start. One thing that came up in my first and last effort so far for reloading is the seating depth.

I've looked at the manual briefly, lot's more in depth reading to do, but I didn't see any specs on overall cartridge length or bullet seating information. I know it probably varies gun to gun, but where do you start? I did see, at least in the Speer Manual, the tested COAL. Should that be the starting point.

I'd normally ask the gentleman who first helped me, but it seems he's not a stickler for following the rules, and I want to learn the correct way.

Thanks in advance.
  2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    The short answer is to seat the bullet just deep enough for reliable feeding through the magazine. Other than that you can easily look up the SAAMI specifications for over all length of each cartrige through a Google search.
  3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I started with the OAL shown in the Nosler manuel and they did not fit the mag.. So I got a factory load and used it as for length. It fits and works fine. The other thing you should be sure to do is get all the case sized because I did not have all the bell off the bottom and had feeding problems with my XD. They did just fine in the Glock. My advice is to test a few rounds in the mag. maybe enough to fill it once and test the function, then test for load and accuracy. I know this all sounds rough, but it really isn't and it is sooooo much fun when you get to shoot and see how good you can load. Most of all take your time!!!!
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

308 Shooter:

Most manuals do have the recommended OAL. A few don't. That is another reason to have multiple manuals.

Gene Seward:

Was the OAL in the Nosler manual significantly different from other manuals? If not then your magazine is wrong. There are ways to measure the max length the chamber will handle and often that is longer than the magazine but the magazine should hold a standard commercial round. How does Noslers OAL compare to commercial loaded ammo? What caliber was this? I can look it up in all my many manuals.

LDBennett
  5. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

LD: The rounds did not feed into the mags of my Glock 17 or the XD at the length that showed in the Nosler manual of 1.169" and had to cut back to 1.161" for good feed into the mags. They shot fine, but about three rounds was all that would feed in the mags without binding. My Speer manual did not show OAL.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Gene:

A Glock 17 is 9mm?

The Hornady manual indeed says the OAL Max is 1.169 but the section for the various weight bullets says:
    90 gr 1.070"
    115 gr 1.100"
    124 gr 1.090"
    147 gr 1.165

My older Nosler manual list OAL as:
    90 & 115 gr 1.100"

The cartridge gage I have for 9mm ammo is Max OAL of 1.169"

You should be using the max length listed for the bullet of choice, not the absolute MAX OAL. Only the 147 gr bullet is close to the MAX OAL listed in the manuals but if that is what you are reloading then you mags are too short for it, I guess. If it is the 147 that you are using, that is an unusually choice for 9mm. The cartridge was originally designed for 115 gr bullets and stepping up to 124 gr bullets is an acceptable increase but 147 gr is nearly 50% more weight and I would think that the twist rate of the barrel might then be in question as it may not stabilize such a heavy bullet. I'd move back to a 115 gr bullets. The gun will shoot significantly different with that weight bullet...hot and fast and fun.

LDBennett
  7. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks L.D.. Just shows you that everyday you learn more from this board.