1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Advice- Winchester or Remington cases for my Swift?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by polishshooter, Feb 26, 2011.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My wife and I are heading to Cincinnati today, and Bass Pro Shop has .220 Swift cases at the lowest prices I've found so far, like $45/100 for Winchester or Remington.

But which should I get? I hear guys saying Winchester, but then others say not since they don't last and stretch more.:confused:

I'm leaning toward Winchester unless they are actually Sellior and Bellot like a lot of their loaded ammo is now, but what do you guys think?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Between the two, they both fairly comparable. I have a slight preference for Winchester brass for consistency that i have seen. I think the biggest factor is how you're going to load it, if you're going to load hot loads, then any brass is going to be used up much faster. 220 Swift is a hot round, even at "lower" loads; they two guys at the range that I know of don't get but 4 or 5 loads per case. I will check with them and see what brand they use as I can't remember.

I'd pick up 100 of each and see for yourself. You can always sell off the unused brass of the one you don't prefer at almost or the same that you paid for it.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Well I learned something very important about my character today.:cool:

Once a Cheap@ss Polak, ALWAYS a Cheap@ss Polak!:p:D:D:D

I got to Bass Pro Shop yesterday and they had both, but they had raised the price on the Winchester to $47.99 while the Remington was still $44.99...guess which one I came home with?:D

I figured the same thing, I will need to take at LEAST 3-400 rounds loaded with me to South Dakota since I will have the only Swift there. I will buy Winchester later and compare.

I already have 20 rounds of Winchester once fired so I can compare a little too, but then again I found out the little bait and tackle shop that I checked in one of my deer this year has two boxes of Remington 50 grain PSP gathering dust on his shelf for $27.99 each, which is $35.99 at bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain.

The BAD thing is nobody has CCI or Federal Benchrest primers in stock in Large Rifle that I wanted to use, so I bought some Winchester LR primers just to start with.

Funny thing, my whole life raising kids and paying bills on my salary meant I had to pinch pennies in any of my hobbies, but now with both Kids grown and on their own AND my wife having a pretty decent job now I can afford a lot more, but I STILL just seem to hate to waste even a few bucks if I can save it.

But then I blew $35 on a half dozen cigars today so go figure!:p I COULD have bought a box of Garcia and Vegas and saved about $30:p

Besides, at Gander Mountain this week they had the same 100 Remington Swift cases for $59.99!:eek::D How in the HECK do you justify a $15 difference? A few bucks I can see....
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

just LMAO, enjoy yourself out there and take some pics; sounds like its going to be a great trip to SD!!