AEGIS Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by petesusn, Apr 6, 2010.

1. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Just thought I'd share this pic with you.
    My last ship in the Navy.

USS Ticonderoga (CG-47)
    The first AEGIS Cruiser.
    Main mission was anti-air warfare.
    Could track 256 targets at the same time and engage the most likely threats one at a time as they came in always keeping track of the 10 most immenent.

Awsome in her day now obsolete and decommissioned. I guess maybe like alot of us old sailors.

Attached Files:

2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Had to go and make me look old didn't you. that ship wasn't even off the drawing board yet when I left the Navy, by my standards she barely has the new worn off. I knew one of the guys who worked on the R&D for their radar. He was plucked from our class and sent straight to the engineers to design and build the thing. His sweat had more IQ than I did.
  3. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Don't feel alone Grump. I spent 22 years in the Navy and every ship I was on and every aircraft I flew in has been decommissioned or scrapped due to AGE. But yea, it does make one look old doesn't it.
    For what it's worth I was the SPY-1A radar workcenter supervisor and later taught SPY-1 radar principles at the AEGIS school in Dahlgren, Va.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  4. wpage

wpage Active Member

5. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Yea, carriers are awsome. Here's three I was on before Ticonderoga.
    USS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CVA-42), USS Coral Sea (CVA-43),
    USS Kitty Hawk (CVA-63)

Attached Files:

6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

SPQ5A radar and Terrier missile, does that date me? The serial number of my radar was #2. Had no idea what solid state circuitry was till they mothballed the Canberra and I was introduced to the 55B. That's probably pretty dated too.
  7. zb338

zb338 New Member

Boy! You Navy guys had the hardware. The most
    sophisticated thing I had in the Army was an M-1
    carbine.

Zeke
  8. Ed Wagner

Ed Wagner Member

Grump, I worked on 55B's, Mods 3,4,5 and finally 8.5, sadly all my ships are gone now also. Ed ( FTM 1 USN )
  9. petesusn

petesusn New Member

When I stepped foot on the Franklin D. Roosevelt (CVA-42) I looked down and found I was standing on a wooden flight deck. We're all dating ourselves aren't we.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

I used to tease my brother that his ship was so old it still had the ports for oars in it. "Yeah but they had to weld them shut to put the reefer in." he says. He said it with a straight face too.

I'm also a FTM1, then SSG in the army reserve as a combat engineer.
  11. Ed Wagner

Ed Wagner Member

Grump, I was accused by some of my 3rds. of being a plank owner on " Old Ironsides " Ed
  12. Joel Lehman

Joel Lehman New Member

My first and last ship was the USS Liberty (AGTR-5). The keel was bent from the torpedo blast, so the ship was sold for scrape after we decommissioned her in 1968.
  13. zb338

zb338 New Member

Boy Grump, you really paid your dues.

Zeke
  14. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

A few familiar names cropped up in this thread. My first ship was USS Boston, sister ship of Canberra, later, after flight training, I spent too much time at sea in FORRESTAL, AMERICA and 13 or 14 other carriers as an aviator. I even had traps (arrested landings) on Ark Royal and Arromanche. Oh they were Royal Navy and French carriers.

BOSTON had Terriers, and I think some of the early FORRESTAL had Talos but I could be wrong.

I am constantly amazed at the technology these days and the young people who run it.
  15. ghrit

ghrit New Member

A bit NOT a cruiser, but mine. Plank owner, she was decommed and scrapped in '89. (I was long gone when that happened.)

Attached Files:

• Gato.jpg
      Gato.jpg
      File size:
      84.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Ed Wagner

Ed Wagner Member

Clipper, the America was my first ship, Weapons Dept., Fox Div.
  17. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

AMERICA now rests in 6,000 feet of salt water. The Navy sank her in a test for survivability of CVA's Sad end. I was in VA-64 from February 1966 to June 1967.
  18. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Off the top of my head the terrier ships were Canberra, Boston, Springfield, Providence, Farragut and Luce. I've been on all of them except Boston and Springfield. Canberra was sent from the line in Viet Nam straight to Long Beach to remove her radars and get ready for decommissioning.

The only ship I was ever on that I really missed. Didn't miss the Terriers or the AN/SPQ-5A radar though. It was obsolete before we ever went to sea with it. A sad tale of the Navy pushing the manufacturer to get a product aboard ship and deployed in a hurry. The replacements were more powerful, more accurate and easier to maintain. The replacement missiles were in a whole different league. Sometimes they did get it right.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010