1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Affordable .22 ?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/01 7:44:07 pm)
    Reply Affordable .22 ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Somehow, I really don't know how, I've ended up with a 10/22 as my ONLY 22! I've been thinking for a couple of months about getting another. I want a shooter and don't need to throw away money on something that doesn't give an equal return in performance! I want a bolt-gun and was thinking of a Marlin or a good used Remington. I'm kinda toying with the idea of getting a 22 Mag. Hence the Marlin. Any ideas?
    Your Buddy,
    MO

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/4/01 8:32:31 pm)
    Reply Re: Affordable .22 ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Best bang for the buck in a mag., SAVAGE HB Bolt gun. Cheap, accurate, scoped...known as their "Package Guns". LTS
    "am not" R2

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/01 9:28:52 pm)
    Thanks LTS, You're a real peach! I'll have to go check one out! I used to be able to find just about anything with a snap of my fingers. Things are a little bit different up here in the country! I've still got to find out where all the gun shops are 'round these parts. Probably have to actually do some driving to get there! Oh well, I guess it's the price you pay for living the good life up here.
    Talk to you soon,
    MO

Chuck from arkansaw
    (8/6/01 2:43:36 pm)
    Check out the C.Z. 452 American Clasic. They look and feel like a center fire rifle, and are extremely accurate. The American Clasic model comes machined for 3/8" scope bases. It is available in .22 rimfire and .22 magnum. I paid $290 for my .22 and consider it a real bargain for the money. The C.Z. 452's and mini mauser 527's in hornet, 222, and 223 are developing a cult following among varming and .22 target shooters. They are not fancy, they are just well made guns using quality materials and manufacturing processes. I have a 527 in hornet and it to was an outstanding value.

Xracer
    (8/6/01 3:12:57 pm)
    Hi Chuck. Thanks for your input and Welcome to the Board!

goldpan
    (9/29/01 12:52:14 am)
    This goes for about 350.00 (LUX)but you can get one called the special for 250.00 (the stock is Beech Wood) Great bolt action rifle. Much better then the savage.
    www.cz-usa.com/pro/prod_b.html

CZ 452 LUX

The Rimfire rifles produced by Ceska Zbrojovka Uhersky Brod are among the most sought-after firearms in the world. The ZKM 452 rifles are manufactured from steel billets not tubing or plastic, barrels are hammer forged for accuracy and long life. The trigger is adjustable for weight, and the safety is located above the rear of the bolt and provides a positive firing pin block. The Lux models have a tangent rear sight that is adjustable for windage and elevation, 5 round detachable magazine and Turkish walnut stock.

Technical data (version 1):
    Model CZ 452 - 2E ZKM Lux
    Stock/Grip Lux
    Caliber .22 Long Rifle
    Magazine cap. 5/10
    Overall length 1083mm (42.64 in.)
    Barrel length 630mm (24.80 in.)
    Weight 2420g (5.4 lbs.)
    Barrel Hammer forged
    Sight/type adjustable
    Sight radius 508mm (20.0in.)

Technical data (version 2):
    Model CZ 452 - 2E ZKM Lux
    Stock/Grip Lux
    Caliber .22 WMR
    Magazine cap. 5
    Overall length 1083mm (42.64 in.)
    Barrel length 630mm (24.80 in.)
    Weight 2420g (5.4 lbs.)
    Barrel Hammer forged
    Sight/type adjustable
    Sight radius 508mm (20.0in.)

My first post here. Hi everybody

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/29/01 1:25:11 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Affordable .22 ?
    Welcome Aboard goldpan!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/01 5:17:54 am)
    Welcome Goldpan! Lot of folks like them CZ's in 22.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (9/29/01 6:56:56 am)
    Chuck and Goldpan, welcome to the board.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/29/01 10:33:45 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Affordable .22 ?
    Welcome Aboard Chuck from arkansaw!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/2/01 8:05:28 am)
    MO WAIT!!!
    consider "fixin" your 10/22 much cheaper and will shoot right up there with the bolt guns, a point where ammo is the only real variant other than skill, I built mine for under $200 (already had the scope) and at Stockton Shooter22's nephew rolled a soda can so far away you couldn't see it with the naked eye, and it's a fun do-it-yourself project

K75RT
    (11/1/01 7:48:35 pm)
    Reply I like the CZ 452 2E ZKM also
    I think that for the money you can't go wrong. Recently bought a CZ452 Standard which has a beech stock and tangential sights from Youngsguns.com for 189.00! Believe me when I tell you this is a great rifle! All of the ZKM line is nice and there is a lot of different models to choose from. I personally like the European stock in beechwood, the checkering is hand cut and the rest of the rifle is quality. Just my 2 cents worth.

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/1/01 8:24:25 pm)
    MO - I have a Marlin bolt and a Savage bolt - both shoot very good (hey my mom hit the bullseye on her second time ever of shooting with the Savage).

Both come with scopes (cheap Tasco ones yes - but they are fun) and the Marlin runs around $160 (in stainless steel - oops that's not a bolt one that's a tube fed - sorry); and the Savage ran right at $104 with 5% sales tax.

warpig883
    (11/1/01 8:55:26 pm)
    One other great thing about Marlins is they offer a tube magazine on their bolt guns for us guys that do not like detachable clips on out .22's.
    I am not happy unless I am miserable
  2. Barton380

Barton380 New Member

"I'm kinda toying with the idea of getting a 22 Mag. Hence the Marlin. Any ideas?"-------------The marlin bolt action 22 mag is the best choice by far. Superior workmasnhip and materials- u can any varmint with it as well as deer or bear, though of course it is illegal in most states to harvest big game animals with rimfire cartridges.....at least u know u can with this rifle. I reccomend cci silver's with this rifle. and a .50 mm leupold ofc. then u have an all aound coon hunting deer poaching anywhere anytime rifle.(poaching is illegal and barton 380 does not in anyway condone such activity :) )
  3. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

The Marlin 982-VS heavy barrel will outshoot almost anything else out there in .22WMR...especially at $249
    except maybe my Marlin 25MN ($80 used) that's had a trigger-job (my labour) & Bipod ($20) & a CP 4-16x40 scope ($80) ;)

Ragged hole groups at 25, 50, 75 yds on a regular basis...I get dime-sized at 100 :D

Coyotes at 100-150 are NO PROBLEM :D
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  4. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

I have the Savage model 93fvss in .22 mag. It is an accurate shooting little gun with the heavy barrel. However, I may also go take a look at the CZ. I'm sure the quality is a bit better. I don't need it but hey....always room for one more.
  5. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

Big Shrek--forgot to ask--what bullet do you use for them coyotes?
  6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

50-grain Federal Game-Shok is my favorite so far :)

I've got my scope set for 125, so the drop for 150 ain't much...and the rise for 100 ain't much. The area I call 'em in at is marked at those ranges...which means no guessing at the distance, you KNOW how far out they are :D

Every Marlin is a wee bit different...you usually have to try a box of everything before figuring out which ammo truly works best. I've got a buddy with a Marlin 25M that swears by 40-grain Winchester White box...

My Grendel R-31 carbine, it LOVES the 30-grain Hornady V-max...but it's not quite as precise as the Marlin Bolt guns ;)
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  7. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

Nice shooter!! I have been getting good results with the CCI Maxi Mag 40 gr TMJ rounds as far as target shooting. Had the gun out for the first time yote hunting on the weekend. Shot at one but I missed--go figure. Do you think the TMJ is the right kind of round for coyote?