Affordable ARs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

So with the tax return and all I may be looking at an AR soon. I've just about pulled myself out of debt and the tax return should be about $600, so price is definitely a concern here. best options I have seen are Olympic Arms which seem to be available in the $700 range... any other comments, ideas, or knowledge on availability ($700 Olympic Arms do me no good if they aren't available kind of thing).

Thanks
  2. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Kel tec if you just want to fire 223. Not high quality by any means but SU-16 still goes bang for every trigger pull.
  3. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I think the Kel Tek is high quality...or at least pretty good quality. Its just not a "top end" product, meaning that its not built any better than it has to be to function properly.

mike
    gn
  5. Craiglylesa1

Craiglylesa1 New Member

if your not dead set on the AR platform, check out the berretta cx4 carbine.
    william and marys police force adapted them after the virgina tech massacre , you can get them in 9mm , 40 cal and .45. if you are set on the AR platform, you might be hard pressed to find one in that price range. i have heard good thing about the olympics though.
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I was actually looking at that Kel-Tec and really liked what I saw, didn't look that much but first looks were very promising.

I am mostly looking for the standard/stereotypical AR though at this point so I could have the possibility of "tricking it out" over the years and whatnot. But we will see because that rifle did look awfully nice. And I think the local shop at 'em too!
  7. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Hmmm....$600. Here in NC you can't touch a new AR for less that $1000. Now you can hardly ever find an AK for $600!!! You might (key word, MIGHT) find a used AR for $600, but I doubt it.
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Hah looks like nothing is available... sweet. Will have to scan the auction sites I guess, much prefer local but whatever, it is what it is.

Gun show is coming up next month. Whatever, looks like either way my wallet will get screwed.

Though Olympic Arms site is saying 4-6 weeks deliver, which sucks but I guess that's better than nothing...

:mad:
  9. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

10. Hells Toy Master

Hells Toy Master New Member

Vlad, your in washington too right?

I know somone who has one ( kel tech su 16A )

I have fired it, A Ar 15 and a Mini 14...

those Kel tech's are almost imposible to find these days... with their ablity to fold many like them as a light wiegh back backers / plinking gun...
    At the washington state gun shows the cheapest Ar 15 is $950 and thats one beat up gun:mad:... the "standard" one thats has not gotten the crap beat out of it is $1,300 or more:eek::eek::eek:. ( thats the low side. )

Cablelas in Lacy has Mini's in for around $700 each... though If you have alittle more I know a gun shop close to me that sold 30 ak - 47's @ $800 each in 2 days. ( town population is like 1,000 people :eek: :D)
  11. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

12. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

13. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Ah man i'm sorry, i'll look for some more for ya
  14. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Hey Vlad-
    I see lots of AR lowers on auction sites for under 200.00. If you then get an AR kit from someplace like model 1 sales for 465.00. that gets you in the door for 650 or so. Dont know if model 1 has a backlog, but you might check.

Chris
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

You might want to consider Saiga. Not an AR platform...actually an AK derivative available though in .223, 7.62x39, .308, and even 30'06. Factory magazines are only 8-10 rds but hi capacity after market are available. In addition there are aftermarket stocks like TAPCO available. These are very reasonably priced. Here's just one distributor:

http://www.armsofamerica.com/firearms/saigarifles.html
  16. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I'll call the SPAA (Seattle Police Athletic Association), they only sell to members (and officers, which my dad is) so might have a surviving stock left, not to mention better info about expected deliveries etc.

Otherwise Impact Guns has a select few in stock, albeit a bit out of my price range. Otherwise, assuming accurate, Impact Guns actually lists delivery times and many are 1-3 weeks so that makes me hopeful :D.

In curious other news I found out today HK has started selling a civilian version of the 416, but in Germany only :mad:. It would be out of my price range anyway, but *drool*.
  17. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:cool:

Hi pard...am sure you want a 223 probably or better... but just mentioning that I have been thinking of getting a 10/22 for range shooting later this year if I get a good royalty check or something...been looking at mods and gear to make the platforms and look pretty good.

Also been lookin at 223 and 308 ammo.....
    but just thinkin about a good range plinker and good looker....

good hunting for your AR...

regards,
  18. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I figure 223 is the way to go. I have a .22 for plinking (albeit not semi-auto... but not a big concern right now), and a 30-06 for the power. Semi-auto 223 seems like the next logical step.
  19. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Hahaha **** the IRS. Apparently since my grandma died and left her money to my college education they are going to screw me and my $600+ drops to $200. Pending word from the all-mighty who have been bestowed with the knowledge to actually handle IRS forms... but I'm pretty sure this is the case... AKA no AR anytime soon :(.

What a joke our tax system is. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

We are stuck on the semantics of a question like "I was a full-time student and my parents or someone else provided at least half of my support".

EDIT: This all seems curious since my grandma's income was ALREADY taxed... how does the government get away with this?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  20. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

When you put together the Words The IRS... it becomes THEIRS...:mad: Sorry Buddy.