After-Hours Club Took PA Man's Legal Gun

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by montezumaz, Sep 17, 2012.

1. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

Club Security Confiscates Patron’s Gun, Force Him to Buy it Back for $500
    http://www.guns.com/club-security-confiscates-patrons-gun-extort-10974.html

Scranton PA police are investigating a report that security at a North Scranton after-hours club took a city man's gun, then forced him to pay $500 to get it back early Sunday. Acting Scranton police Capt. Glen Thomas said George Ramos II, 22, of North Scranton, was involved in a fight at the Zone Club and security took his gun while he was leaving. Mr. Ramos ... who is licensed to carry the weapon ... got it back, but only after security at the club forced him to hand over $500. Capt. Thomas said city detectives are investigating the incident. - Times Tribune
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

black mail, extortion , obtain benefit by with holding property with menace

all fit . start a writing ..
  3. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

bullies plain and simple
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

sounds like the favorite tactic of the FARC and other extremists. straight up extortion.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I don't know what Pa law is regaurding firearms in a club but regaurdless, the security disarmed the man. Shouldn't a LEO have been called for that? Sounds like theft and extortion to me.
  6. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Disarming and detaining someone involved in a bar fight I understand...But it sounds to me like the security boys were selling a stolen firearm without a FFL that's a Federal Offence.
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

He shouldnt have had the gun at a club to start with. The club was right in taking it after the fight.

They were not right in making him pay anything. After they took the gun, the police should have been called and it should have been thier decision on what to do with it, whether it be to give it back immediately, hold it for a day until he cooled off, or take away his CCL.

As it is, the club should be charged with something, in my opinion. He might still lose his license.
  8. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Yep, that is a bad place. I live about 12 miles away. In PA you can carry concealed as long as the bar does not have signs prohibiting it. They have the right to bar weapons but most do not. Two weeks ago there was a shooting about a half mile away from me in Plymouth PA where a drunken patron was tossed for making ethnic slurs very late in the evening. He went home and returned with his weapon. He walked in and fatally shot a defenseless person in the head. Thank God another patron had CCW permit and promptly dropped the assailant with a head shot. Last I heard he was still in Critical care in hospital.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't know PA law about carrying in a bar, so won't comment on that.

DO know about bar security. Used to bounce, a million years ago.

Bar fight? Break it up. Throw them out. You don't detain. You're not a cop. You don't search. You're not a cop. You damn sure don't confiscate. You're not a cop.

"Detaining" is false arrest. Maybe kidnapping. Confiscation is theft. Depending on what was confiscated, maybe grand theft.

And "if you want your stuff back you have to buy it" would be theft, sale of stolen property, ransom and extortion.

There would be many people in jail and the club would be closed for some time. In Florida.

Maybe Yankees do things different.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Local PD training maybe?
  11. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

here in Virginia you can carry in a place that serves alcohol so long as you're not drinking. i don't know if you're allowed to drink while carrying in PA or not, but if you can it's still not a good idea.
  12. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

That's what i'm guessing, almost time to go to the academy they have most of the bases covered.