After much deliberation I bought a SIGMA in 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by coreyacp, Oct 12, 2011.

1. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I did a ton of research. I wanted a full size but not to large handgun. Ok? simple right? I wanted something that would be versatile, rugged, and would not break the bank. I wanted something safe and reliable. So I have my preferences. For one I did not want to spend more than $600.

I personally cannot stand glock. And I have nothing against glock owners or even glocks themselves. I just cant shoot with them. They feel uncomfortable to me. I just dislike them. Its a personal thing.

Now this is where you guys will think I am hypocritical. I love XD's. They rock to me. Idk why but I just love them. I found a XDm in 40 at a range I was shooting and I enjoyed it. They had a new one for 550. Seemed like the obvious choice right?! Fit well shot well comes with all the extras.

I shot the ruger sr9, the sig p250, and many others. Well then I stumbled upon the Sigma. 9mm 16 round magazine so 16+1. No safety. Basically a glock 19. Except for two major things. The trigger pull is around 8 to 9 lbs and the grip has more of a 1911 style. I fell in love. Its super light. I like the long trigger pull personally. And its cheap!!! I dont care if it breaks or anything because I got one brand new with two extra mags for $219!!! I love it and its my recent addition :)

Attached Files:

2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Hey if you like it thats all that matters, and it's a Smith so I'm sure they will stand behind it. Good luck with the new gun.
  3. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Brisk you're suppose to be at work? Nice gun Corey!
  4. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Nice! Resembles a Glock in some ways.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My son had a Sigma a few years ago and I always enjoyed shooting it. There is nothing wrong with wanting to save a few dollars. The difference between $220 and $600 is a whole lot of ammo!! Enjoy your new pistol
  6. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

It is the same as a glock 19. Glock sued S&W when they came out with them haha S&W paid for the rights to continue to produce the sigma. There are minor details that are different that really make a huge difference for me.
  7. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

YEP! I have so much 9mm now haha
  8. terminator

terminator Member

9. popgun

popgun New Member

Not to be a jerk, but it's an entry level handgun, good news is you picked the 9mm as the 40 cal. Sigma is plagued with problems. The do not hold up well after a few hundred rounds. Check out S&W forum and you will see they have a whole section on them. Good thing is, they are cheap so you can always buy another one when you start having feed issues. Check out the S&W SD9, Smith redid the Sigma and it's a little more robust. My guess they will be phasing the Sigma platform out soon.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

popgun is right but i'll add that from the few i've seen that have had trouble its been a maintenance issue , dirty indian and indonesian or russian ammo allowed to build up and create more pressure on parts that is expected , and a couple folks i know who own them who do clean after every shoot have no issues

it is not a 1911, was never meant to be , but they are cheap reliable ( if looked after ) and from a good maker , so all thats on your side

enjoy eh!
  11. CharlieSW

CharlieSW New Member

I had a .40 cal SIGMA, but I did not keep it. It was accurate, handled well and shot reliably, but I could not adjust to the stiff trigger pull. Personal preference. Good Luck!
  12. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

Yeah I dont need anything but a simple pistol that if it breaks I wont be to sad or mad at myself. My unit issues me an m9 (which I hate but I have no choice) and I have a usp in .40 and its to expensive to be on my hip while I mountain bike. That kinda thing you know. This gun is going to get beat up and the price makes it not hurt as bad
  13. popgun

popgun New Member

Well in that case it's the best choice. Af least it's not a Hi-Point
  14. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

K woah there I didnt stoop that low jeez haha
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

aint nuttn wrong with the S&W sigmas except the 40 pound trigger pull. Easily fixed by removing one of the 2 springs in the trigger mechanism that the glock lawsuit made them put in there.

Someone mentioned they look glockesque.. More than you know. So much so that glock sued the crap out of S&W over this very handgun. Takedown is identical, operation is identical, trigger style is a little different but works exactly the same.

I had one and it shot great. I eventually traded it in on a Ruger P89 tho
  16. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Just be ready for problems though. After a few hundred rounds, the extractor may break, did on mine.

I sold it for the real thing. A glock 23 in .40. :D

Good luck with it, hope you got a GOOD one, you deserve it.
  17. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

Haha I have put about 1000 rounds threw it now. Everything is going really well. It shoots low left though for me. I have beautiful groups once I got use to the trigger pull but I cant quiet get it to be dead on.
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

take a spent 5.56 case and a small hammer and drift the rear sight a little to the right. HEavier ammo will help it hit higher. mine shot POA with 124 gr 9mm NATO, a tad low with 115 gr WWB, and a tad high with 147 gr WWB
  19. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I will try that. Thanks man. Yeah it was bugging me a little. Thank you
  20. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

My guess is the $220.00 price tag indicates they are phasing them out.