After shooting for 27 years it happened to me...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cpttango30, Nov 17, 2012.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Telling myself it wouldn't ever happen to me. I went deer hunting today opening day of rifle season in VA. I took my trusty Remington Model 30 Express in 30-06. The bolt was a little sticky in the morning and I didn't think much about it as I had used grease to lube last time I cleaned it. I figured it was 30 deg the grease was a little stiff no biggie. So I get to my hunting spot and get ready to go head out in to the woods. I pick my spot and settle in for a day of deer waiting. My stomach starts to hurt after about 2 hours and I get up to head back to the car. Met a couple of other guys there from the hunt club and shoot the bull a little. They then take off down the road and I start unloading my rifle I get what I thought is all of the rounds out of it and one wont chamber so I could extract it. some times they catch in the chamber from the last round which this one is. Remember this is a OLD gun pre WWII I believe. I failed to check it out when the bolt was sticking and once again I failed to check the rifle chamber and I closed the bolt on what I thought was an empty chamber and BOOM. I had the rifle on the back trunk floor of my matrix pointing down it shot a hole in the floor board and into my muffler scared the daylights out of me and almost had be soil myself. The other guys came back to see what was going on as we were parked at the range. I told them and calmed down a little and drove home. I am done hunting for a few days. I think I am going to retire that gun and look at getting a new deer rifle. I feel like such a dumbass.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  2. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you had it pointed in a safe direction, away from others or yourself. I'm sure you've learnt a valueable lesson from it.
  3. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Glad no one was hurt, but I'd also be glad if I were you that the Gas Tank wasn't below where the shot went through. :eek:
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Glad you werent hurt! People say it will never happen to me. They should just be glad it doesnt. It could have been your gas tank below that trunk.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Your Guardian Angel was on Duty, thank God!!!!!
  6. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

not trying to be a smart butt, but ignorance can kill when it comes to firearms
    check and check again
    glad no one got hurt
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like you need some duck tape...
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I am in 110% agreement with you on this one.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Agree 110% I was more shook up that I didn't check enough than I shot my car.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have ADs all the time.. Just the nature of the profession. Had a 1911 go FA on me couple days ago..
  11. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I've heard of guy not liking their Toyotas but no one has ever got so frustrated as to shoot it. LOL

I'm surprised we don't have ADs more often in my area with all the pheasant road hunting. we open the action and set it beside the seat muzzle down
  12. m77user

m77user Active Member

I am glad you are alright. It can happen to anyone we are all human.
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

14. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Welcome to a very large shooters club comprised of gunners who didn't think it would happen to them and when it did it made us more careful. In my case a 45 cal hole in my bedroom floor from an empty gun my brother gave me to put away. My fault, I believed him and didn't check. Pushed the slide forward and dropped the hammer, makes a feller get downright humble after preaching safe gun handling for years.

Don't much matter what gun it is, the malfunction is usually between our ears.
  15. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Glad noone was hurt, and kudo's to you for not letting your pride get in the way and posting this for all to learn from, I had an AD when I was 14, pheasant hunting with Dad and a couple of his friends, my finger was inside the trigger guard, where it shouldn't have been, I tripped a little on something, did not fall but just caused me to grip the gun tighter, I thought the safety was on, but nope, squeezed off a 20g load of #6's up in the air, I shoot left handed and was positioned purposely by my Dad, on the far right end of the line of hunters, he was to my left, he put me there for a reason, the AD did go up, so no matter where I was in the lineup noone would have been shot,

Truly a lesson learned though, when I teach people to shoot, including my kids, I constantly stress that your finger never goes inside the trigger guard until you are just about to shoot,

I'm over 50 now and have not had an AD since, my Dad's friends laughed about it later and teased me over it for years to follow, but it shook me up at the time and I never forgot it.

Kudo's again for posting your experience, we all need the reminder that things like this can happen to anyone, regardless of experience, as someone mentioned above we are human and prone to accidents and mishaps,
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012