After shooting for 27 years it happened to me...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cpttango30, Nov 17, 2012.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

wolly I don't remember pulling the trigger. Then again I don't remember the gun leaving a round in the chamber.

I don't believe I pulled the trigger.

It catches on something when I go to chamber a round I will try to take a video of it this evening when I am looking at the rifle more.

I may have hit the trigger as I was closing the bolt as well.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you going to have the car mounted. :D

I'd sure check out the rifle closely to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm also glad you or anyone else wasn't hurt.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey, maybe there is a category in the Boone and Crocket club for automobiles. :D
  4. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Scary stuff, dude. Glad nobody was hurt. Thanks for sharing what happened. It's a good reminder to us all to stay as safe as possible at all times.
  5. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

A friend had his first AD in deer camp last month. We had just got back to our atv's from helping a friend pack his deer out and he had put his rifle in the scabbard while we took a rest, it was a 1 1/2 mile packout, and when he was taking it out to unload it he accidently hit the trigger and shot a hole in his scabbard, the wheel well of his atv and his front tire. Luckily the only damage was to his tire and pride. He spent the rest of the time in camp trying to figure out how it happened.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  6. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Glad no one was hurt, first off. I'll agree it's time to retire that one and give it a good going-over to get it working correctly.

I don't think I'd go with duct tape on that one, it looks more like the type of hole that the "stick epoxy" at Walmart would work real well on...

I'm 53, and hopefully got my AD out of the way when I was 16 and shot a hole in the bathroom ceiling with a .22 while trying to sneak it out of the house... needless to say I was unsuccessful in that attempt.
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Holy Smokes! Just glad nobody got hurt.

My #1 gun rule was, is, always will be treat every gun as loaded...even if I handled it last and unloaded it.
  8. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Ah, the Remington '06. When I was was about 12 my dad was putting a couple of guns away after some time at the range. In the days before household burglaries became as common as mail delivery we simply had a couple of racks of rifles on the wall in a narrow hallway. I was walking down the hall toward my dad, who was facing me and unloading a Remington 700 .30-'06. The muzzle was pointed down and toward one wall. Good damn thing because when he flipped off the safety - necessary to rotate the bolt - WITHOUT a finger near the trigger, that '06 roared. Lots of questions and shouldas, but as you can imagine not something I'm likely to forget.
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Don't get down on yourself. The fact is that accidents happen, and that is why you always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. Your experience in safely handling a fire arm paid off. The accident happened and nobody was hurt. You did everything right under those circumstances.

One time I was at a friend's vacuum cleaner retail store. I was waiting on him in the repair room while he finished helping a customer. I noticed a double barrel twelve gauge leaning against the wall with both hammers cocked. Realizing how dangerous that was, I picked up the shotgun to decock the hammers. Apparently the person who cocked the hammers had greased graphite on their fingers, because the hammers slipped out from under my thumb. BOOM! Both barrels went off and blew a hole through the roof of the vacuum cleaner store. The fact is I was being safe and had the gun pointed in a safe direction. An accident happened, and nobody was hurt. I did everything right.....and I learned how to patch a roof that day too.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012