Aftermarket magazine for Remington 760 Gamemaster

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by stormn_mormn, Nov 22, 2009.

1. stormn_mormn

stormn_mormn New Member

My Father-in-law inherited a 1952 Remington 760 Gamemaster (30-06) from his father recently. It was missing the magazine so he went to a gun show and picked one up from a dealer there (yes, it was the high capacity, 10 round clip). With the action closed, the magazine slides into the receiver just fine, but doesn't catch and I can pull it out without much effort. If I open the action, the clip will slide in and catch completely so that I cannot pull it out unless I press the magazine release. The problem is that when I then try to cycle the action closed, the bolt catches on the lip of the magazine and won't close completely unless I force it. I can see some marring on the magazine where it is catching--just wondering if grinding the magazine down is an option, and if so, are there any "gotchas" I need to be aware of when doing this?
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Storm

I wouldn't be afraid to take off a slight amount at a time while constantly reinserting the mag and checking the functionality of the firearm, but if it were me I'd most likely "polish" it down with a rotary tool/buffer or even by hand with sand paper just to be safe. There probably isn't that much of an obstruction.

I moved your thread here so that hopefully some of our Gurus could give you their advice.

Welcome to TFF.

Crpdeth
  3. stormn_mormn

stormn_mormn New Member

Crpdeth,
    Thanks for the quick response; good advice.