Age Barometer

Discussion in 'The Pump House Saloon' started by Diamondback, May 10, 2012.

1. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

counted 16-I bought a Winchester model 94 at Woolco Dept store(kind of a grandaddy to Walmart) for 62.00 + sales tax. Tax was like 2 percent. White people still worked in the packing houses and my hometown had the largest stockyards in the world- now a massive parking lot littered with stores here and there. I went 2 years once without buying new license for my pick-up or even registering it, got picked up in it while driving drunk and the cop told me to go home,he'd be by in a few minutes to see if I made it...registering the truck after 2 years cost less than if I'd registered the truck when I bought it and paid for new tabs. We still walked the bean fields, and baled hay and stacked it in the barn. Most of our vegetables and fruit were canned by Mom or Grandma. I walked beans for 2 weeks to save enough money to buy a transistor radio. It came with a single earbud. A 340 Rupp was a mean snowmobile and the '59 Harley Panhead I bought a week after high school graduation was worth more when I sold it than when I bought it.You could knock the snot out of some kid it school, if he was messing with you, and no one would say much about it. You could buy Ripple for about .55 a bottle. Life was good.
  2. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Im with ya there brass,My dad used us as the remote and when we got our 1st vcr it was as big as a suitcase and the remote had a wire on it.
  3. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

does anyone remember western union boys on bikes delevering telagrams or telatype machines
  4. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

17 on the first list.

Actually the WW2 guys are now older than dirt technically speaking. I only know one guy like that and he is in our F&AMs lodge.

The Korean Conflict guys are almost as old as dirt.

The Viet Nam guys are not quiet as old as dirt.

Anyone since Viet Nam is not really old yet.
  5. redmond

redmond New Member

25 of 25 here. I guess that makes me petroleum.

The remote control issue wasn't much of a problem - we only had one channel. Did have to adjust the rabbit ears and volume as needed, though.

I did see recently that there is a new electronic device coming out - the console TV - now why didn't someone think of that before??? :) OK - it's got more than just a TV.
  6. Skipper

Skipper Member

Just a note; my Wife and I took a road trip along the full length of Route 66 last year. Before the trip, we got 2 cases of these; one orange, one strawberry.

Ain't nothin' like crusin' Route 66 sippin' on an Orange Crush!

[​IMG]

http://www.beveragesdirect.com/Orange-Crush.aspx
  7. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I'm thinking more like a RC Cola and a Moon Pie
  8. Skipper

Skipper Member

Amen to that. By the way, we went through Siloam Springs to see my cousin on the way.
  9. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

I didn't even SEE a T.V. set until I was 12 .... in Michigan's U.P. ( where I grew-up )there were no broadcast channels.
    First T.V. that ever I saw was on a visit to an uncle in the Detroit area .... I forget the make / model but, it was a T.V. with a round screen.
  10. geds

geds New Member

How cool! I've driven part of the route as an adult. How long did it take?
  11. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Sadly I remember all of them. In fact I delivered milk bottles to homes with paper disc stopper in top. As a youngster I worked for a neighbor who was a milkman. Tough on a Saturday morning at 3:00 am getting up to run the weekend routes in the dead of winter. And Bobitis... you mean you did not sniff that great smelling mimeograph paper in grade school doing your 2+3=6 math homework etc. That stuff smelled great and fortunately sniffing never affected by ability to calculate.
  12. dwdw

dwdw New Member

Here is one I just remembered and though I better post before I forgot! LOL
    Cadillac with an automatic engine start when you turned the ignition on and touched the gas (accelerator) pedal! It would stop cranking as the engine started.
    Thats almost the big selling point today LMAO!
    Thanks for looking and hoping you remembered it!
    dwdw
  13. Skipper

Skipper Member

A little over a week. We stopped everywhere we wanted to and spent an extra day in Williams, AZ