Age of H&R mod. 999 Sportsman

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by si24, Sep 9, 2008.

1. si24

si24 New Member

Hi, I have a later model H&R mod.999 Sportsman, I'm thinking it was made around 1983 or 1984 but I'm not sure. The serial number is BA000154 Does anyone know for sure when it was made? Also the rear sight appears to be the standard factory one except instead of the usual adjustment screws it appears to have roll pins. I know these screws are prone to falling out but I've never seen another mod 999 with a rear sight that didn't have screws. I bought this gun at an estate sale from a friend who I know bought the gun new years ago and it's in mint condition. He never mentioned having a gunsmith mess with the rear sight but I suppose that he could have. Has anybody ever seen a 999 with a factory rear sight like this? Thanks.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

H&R used the letter codes "BA" in 1984. i don't have any information on the rear sight of the very late production revolver, but a 1984 catalog does show a screw for sight adjustment.
    bill
  3. si24

si24 New Member

Thanks, I seen several mod. 999s but have never seen the rear sight without screws. At first I thought the screws had just fallen out but the sight blade is tight. Even under a lighted magnifying glass I can't tell for sure how the sight blade stays in place. Anyway thanks again.