1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Age of Purchasing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by no_Wedge, Nov 21, 2007.

1. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

what is the current minimum age to purchase a handgun in Texas? I know that to have a concealed gun it is 21 with a permit, but can't you buy one at a dealer at age 18?
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

You must be 21 to purchase a hand gun or hand gun ammo.
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Oops I was wrong :eek:
    I am going back to the kitchen to make something else
  4. Actually Ron, we were both right. After I saw your post, I looked it up. It seems it is illegal to possess a handgun under 18, but one must be 21 to actually purchase one.

There is no minimum age to possess firearms under Texas law, although federal law generally prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by anyone under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(2), (3) and (5).

Texas law prohibits intentionally or knowingly selling, renting, leasing, or giving or offering to sell, rent, lease, or give any firearm to any child younger than age 18. Tex. Penal Code Ann. § 46.06(a)(2). However, it is an affirmative defense to this offense that the parent or the person having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person having legal custody had given effective consent. Section 46.06(c). Federal law prohibits firearms dealers from selling or delivering handguns or ammunition for handguns to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1), (c)(1). Federal law also prohibits unlicensed persons from selling, delivering or otherwise transferring a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (3) and (5).

An applicant for a license to carry a concealed handgun under Texas law must be at least 21 years of age. Tex. Gov't. Code Ann. § 411.172(a)(2).
  5. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

ok, this is were it is confusing, if someone 21 purchases a handgun for someone 18 or older it is not illegal, but a store(dealer) can not sell it to someone 18-20?
    dosn't the state law overlay the fed law?