The Firearms Forum banner

AGI

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
I was wondering if the American Gunsmithing Institute is a good learning opportunity or if they are dung? Any thoughts on them is appreciated.
Thank you.

#3 · (Edited)
I am a member of AGI.I have taken there gunsmithing,(they also have a) master gunsmith course and the law enforcement armorer course i have taken a few times.
Bob Dunlap is the senior Instructor and very good.Ken brooks and the other instructors are also very good.
There courses are detailed and easy to understand if you have a background with guns already.
When you complete a course you get some very good benefits as a member and they are always available to answer any questions you may have.
I am also a GCA member threw AGI and get a different courses every month They have allot of disassembly / reassembly dvds of different guns that are very good.
Mike

#4 ·
While I have not taken one of the AGI master courses I have many of their assembly/disassembly DVD's and even a tape or two. They are excellent, and well done. I also have their professional trigger jobs DVD and it was an eye opener for me. After completing the viewing about three times I can probably do a trigger job on any gun you can imagine (well almost and certainly most all modern guns). It was a combination of theory of operation instruction and "how-to" examples on real guns. The instructional part is invaluable to allow you to use the knowledge on any gun, not just the guns used in the video. The video on how to re-barrel a rifle was super informative as well.

AGI has to be the least expensive way to get into professional gunsmithing and the master courses are tons better than the typical correspondence school courses where they teach you how to put on a recoil pad and a bunch of other mundane skills. AGI teaches you the theory of operation and how to apply it to the gun at hand.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.