Aguila .22 SSS

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ineedsoap16, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Just bought a box of 60gr Aguila Sniper Subsonic to try something new. Opened the box and was kinda surprised. It is the length of a .22lr but the brass is the size of a .22 short. It makes sense to have to limit the case size to accomodate the 60gr bullet, but just weird to see. Anybody used this stuff. What is the relationship between sub / super sonic (besides the somic boom haha) as far as accuracy with such a heavy bullet? We'll see if my Marlin 25 likes it!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I bought some to try in my silenced Ruger Mark II. Extremely disappointed. Keyholes everywhere. Haven't shot any in a rifle, but I suspect it would do better. Need more speed to stabilize that heavy a bullet. But even with the extra speed a rifle barrel gives, you still have only around 1000 fps (much faster than that and it would not be "subsonic"), and that might not be fast enough to stabilize. Might need the speed PLUS a faster rifling spin.

That BOOM is the relationship. Supersonic = above the speed of sound. Subsonic = below the speed of sound. Breaking the sound barrier can have an effect on the accuracy of your bullet (increasing group size), so MOST target 22 ammo is subsonic.
  3. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

If you are expecting this load to shoot in a standard .22 twist of 1-16, you will be disappointed at best, but it will shoot somewhat better in a .223 AR15 upper using a 1-7..........to a 1-9 twist. While it may not cycle the conversion unit.....it will be efficent.

Much like shooting a low grain short with the long rilfe standard twist, it`s all about weight..........mostly. Some like length. Birds like wobble.
  4. pawn

pawn Active Member

Alpo, did the SSS reliably cycle the MKII?
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Tell you the truth, I don't remember. It's been a couple of years. I just remember the accuracy sucked. I'm sure it did, though. It has enough power. Just didn't stabilize. And when I saw from the target how unstable it was, I didn't like to think about what it might be doing to my baffles, so I stopped after three or four shots.
  6. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

IIRC, Aguila SSS is rated at around 950 fps. The speed of sound varies depending on altitude, barometric pressure, and temperature, but I think it's somewhere around 1100 fps. Speed ratings are generally out of a rifle-length barrel, so you won't get the rated fps out of a handgun. The SSS was designed for a 1:9 twist barrel. Most .22s are in the 1:14-1:16 range, which is why you'll get keyholing. Key holing can vary from gun to gun. I've shot SSS from 5.5" and 6.5" revolvers as well as a 3.4" P22 and got keyholing beyond about 10 yards. Out of my Marlin 60 they keyhole at 25 yards (haven't shot at anything closer - it is a rifle after all. :D ) BTW, it cycled the P22 and the M60 just fine.