Aguila CMP .22LR Golden Eagle match

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by questor, Feb 1, 2010.

1. questor

questor Member

I have a 10/22 and everything I read states stay away from lead bullets. My question is the Aguila CMP .22LR Golden Eagle match - lead?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Why? Does "everything you've read" give a reason for that strange requirement?

But, to answer your question, sure look like it to me.
    http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1048.html
  3. questor

questor Member

Very good question, but it certainly is OUT there, just reporting what I have read. :)

Avoid lead bullets as the gun is inherently difficult to clean efficiently. Lead bullets are seductively inexpensive, but don't fall for it. You can buy copper or brass washed bullets almost as cheaply and they will save much scrubbing of the bore to get the lead out of the rifling. My recommended ammo is CCI Mini-Max

http://www.ruger1022.com/do_dont.htm

Thanks for the armory link.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  4. bucksnducks

bucksnducks New Member

I don't know about "whats out there", but I do not find my 10-22 hard to clean at all and I am no gunsmith. I shoot whatever type bullet I want and have had no problems.
    I do, however, believe that the 10-22 needs a thorough cleaning more often than some other .22's. Note that I said "thorough".
    I once had a Browning Buckmark pistol. Loved it, but you had to keep it really clean for it to run right. I traded it to a friend for his S&W .22 revolver. I don't think he would ever sell it back to me. Like me, he shoots anything he wants, but knows he has to stay on top of it as far as cleaning.
    To each his own though. 10-22's are great rifles!
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Much lead goes down many a barrel and it's been that way since the begining of the rifle hundreds of years ago. Why this article has to turn over an age old fact is beyond me. Shooting lead and cleaning a barrel is absolutely normal (I hope) for any gun owner except glock.

"LEAD AND COPPER SOLVENT" jumps out me when walking down the gun cleaning aisle - isn't this part of gun ownership we all take part in? This article is absolutley senseless, furthermore I can tell you my 10/22 has shot tens of thousands of lead rounds, still can get a clean lead free patch out of it after a moderate cleaning with a quality solvent.

The copper washed lead barely prohibits lead from depositing on the lands and grooves of your barrel anyway, and if thats not enough, copper can be worse than lead to get out a barrel!
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    hey,if i can find copper washed ammo for my 10-22t then ill buy it,otherwise i shoot whatever is more accurate.i use nothing but bore snakes in all my guns and cleaning every 30-40 shots is quick and easy.i never have a leading problem and have been doing this in my 10-22 for 5-6 years. old semperfi