Aguila Super Colibri VS CCI CB'S

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by *Hoss*, Feb 16, 2012.

1. *Hoss*

*Hoss* New Member

Anyone have any experience shooting these out of short barreled rifles or .22 pistols? Which one is quieter and which one is the most accurate?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I did a small experiment with my new rifle, about a month ago.

The CCI CB Longs are slightly louder. They hit the pine tree with much more authority. I only fired about 3 rounds each, and I was shooting at about 20 feet, so can't tell you much about accuracy.

By the way. Often you will see someone say that "a 22 short out of a rifle is almost as quiet as a long rifle from a silencer". They will be lying. I fired 3 Super Colibri. pop (pip) pop (pip) pop (pip). 3 CB Longs Pop (whap) Pop (whap) Pop (whap). 1 short KAPOW. Obviously a gun had been fired, and I did not need the neighbors calling the cops, so I went and put the gun away.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

CB longs out of a rifle are like a pellet gun...thats all I used to use to dispatch tree rats.
    I did this for years on my 3/4 acre lot inside city limits...
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I shoot the super colibris all the time. they are pellet gun rounds from both of the .22 rifles. (19 inch bbl rem 5 and 19 inch bbl marlin 60) and are not quite loud enough for ear plugs from my .22 single action.
  5. wingspar

wingspar Member

I tried the Aguila’s thru a 26-inch barrel bolt action before I knew you weren’t supposed to shoot them thru long guns. I was planning on using them for barking dogs. It’s a dang good thing I took them to the woods to try them out first. Way too loud and powerful to use on a barking dog. I shelved them and bought a BB gun. They probably have a purpose, but I don’t know what that would be.
  6. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

If one wants a quiet round, shoot Remington Sub-Sonic out of a rifle the longer the barrel the quieter it is .I use them in an older Marlin 60,Remington 510,and Winchester 69A and they eject from a semi automatic.:) Cliff
  7. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I have shot a lot of Colibri and Super Colibri in rifles and a handgun (revolver).
    Only ever had one Colibri 'stick', in the tight bore of my Winchester75T target rifle. In mass-market rifles, not a problem. Very quiet from a bolt action, accuracy is so-so - good enough to get a 'ball park' setting on a scope or sights before going to the range. I do sometimes shoot them indoors - I am single, so no problem with a spousal unit.
    NOT good for possum control - will not make a clean kill. Squrrels aren't a problem though. Your neighbors will never know you are shooting.But, make sure of your backdrop!!!
  8. WE0H

WE0H New Member

How far do the Super Colibri travel out of a 6" revolver? I have heard the bullet flying around in tree branches but never figured out how far they travel before they would be deemed not a threat for anything. I shoot them in my antique & C&R revolvers. They sure make spinner 22 targets spin ;) Fun & low cost too.

Thank you,
    Mike :)
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I've test fired Colibri and Super Colibri rounds out of a 3" bbl PREMIER - not much noise at all, but a distinctive pop. Shooting at an overflow pipe in the pond about 70 yards away - could hit or get close to the pipe everytime with a SPORTSMAN 6" with standard speed cartridges. Shooting the Super Colibri from the 3", using the same "hold" the pellets dropped about 24" in that same distance. The Colibris were about 3' low.
  10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Out of a handgun , there all loud. As a rifle barrel gets longer all the 700fps and less rounds nise leve drops. Our ratcoon round was a cci cblong is a rated 710fps round but out of our remmy 512p 25" barrel it was only 650fps. You shoot ratcoons at 10feet and not both a second coon and then drop it two. Inside the house what I heard the most with wife shorting out a open sliding door was the click of the fireing pin.
  11. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I have limited experience with the Colibri, but I've used thousands of CCI CB longs over the years. They are very quiet (air-gun-quiet) from a rifle. I'd say shooting CB longs from a rifle would not bother the neighbors. From a handgun they are louder, but I can get away without earmuffs when shooting CB longs from my 4 inch revolvers.

Sorry, Cliff, but I cannot agree with you on the Remington Subsonics. They are not a quiet round. I've shot many boxes of them at the rifle range and from the shooting line they aren't much quietier than the standard Remington target rounds. They do lack the "crack" of the faster rounds, but up close there is not much difference. Definitely not CB-quiet.
  12. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

The marlin 60 has a 22 inch barrel the Rem 510 has a 24 inch barrel and the 69a has a 25inch barrel. The bullet goes less than the speed of sound and I can hear the bullet hit. Out of the above rifles it is quiet to me,my Wife can not hear it from inside the uninsulated cottage and the neighbors think it is an airgun.Maybe it is quiet because I shut off my hearing aid,just kidding.Cliff
  13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

You would have to shoot some cci cb longs to hear the difference between a 700fps round and 1000 fps round It is very different. More so with a longer barrel . All I shoot is 1100fps or less match grade ammo round have someone slip one of the cb longs into your mag you like something is wronm when fired..
  14. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Well each to their own,they work for me.I expect they are going slower than 1050 feet per second using the rifles mentioned. Anyways, Y'all have a good day be safe and keep the lead flying. Cliff