Aim $109 Yugo SKS Purchase Report

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by mauserman454, Aug 20, 2004.

1. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

As posted earlier, I ordered another Yugo 59/66 SKS from Aim Surplus. I already had an unissued one, that I do not want to shoot, so I went with the $109 for a shooter.

Aim's ad says it may come with some used accessories. When I opened the box, I found a like new sling, oiler & pouch, well used cartridge pouch, & THE LOGBOOK!!!!

I am very impressed that I received the logbook on a $109 rifle

The rilfe itself is packed in a lot of gooey comso, which I have yet to clean. However I can see the stock is really nice, with only minor dings, and the metal is excellent, with only slight blue wear around the muzzel.

BTW, There are no nightsights, or even the white dot sights... Also the grenade launcher is the type with all of the holes drilled at the end of it. Does anyone know what that means? I remeber seeing it on a website, but I lost the link.

MM454
  2. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Sounds pretty good for a $109 rifle.
    Don't know about the holes.
    Let us know how it shoots. ;)
  3. outdoorsman260

outdoorsman260 New Member

I think the holes were on the earlier models.

I rember reading that the thought in Yugoslavia at the time was that it would aid in firing grenades. All it did was add to the machining of the gun, so the holes were dropped.

The no night sites is again consistant with it being an earlier model.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

*agrees with outdoorsman260*

The holes were meant as a "compensator". They really didn't do much, so they were dropped in later models. Incidentally, when they did this, they also changed the inside diameter of the grenade launcher. Your earlier model will have a larger grenade launcher ID than the later models. There were some other minor variations of the locking ring as well.

What letter prefix is on the serial number? You can look at this survey page and get a rough idea of what year model it is: http://users.cableaz.com/~mjbvrb/ .
  5. ranger_00953

ranger_00953 New Member

Hi there,
    I just bought a Yugo SKS about a month a ago and it's beautiful I haven't shoot it yet but it's almost new. About the holes at the end of the bore, that were just on the earliest models. They cancel that production because the grenade wasn't propulsed with enough power for long distances. Therefore, that was just functioning as a fire supresor, however, later models were change to have grenade accuracy. I know all this because I met an old former russian soldier that explained me the hole sks history when I was stationed with the Army in Germany. Let me know how that baby shoots.
  6. 7.62Slinger

7.62Slinger New Member

I am curious as to the "Alpha" code on that rifle.
    Is it by chance a "D" code?

Thanks,

Slinger
  7. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Hey there, Slinger! Welcome to TFF! Good to see you over here.
  8. 7.62Slinger

7.62Slinger New Member

Hey Sniper,
    Thanks for the welcome!!
    I just found this site.
    If I keep this up I am never going to get any jobs thru the eng. dept. ;)