1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Aim, Grip and Squeeze...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Smokin Guns, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Have been staying at about a sixty foot distance consistently to try and improve the afore mentioned items. Aim and Squeeze getting better...but, was shooting a box of 50 yesterday (in between Valentines day activity...:rolleyes: ) and noticed how Grip was playing a bigger role in my accuracy. Not ready for Paper yet (unless it's from 10 feet away)...but, it's getting easier to hit Pins with 1 shot 1 knockdown...;)

Attached Files:

2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

SG, the grip should be consistent everytime you shoot . Proper grip along with proper sight alignment should get you on paper . Just practice alot.

Another thing to be aware of is trigger control. Don't jerk the trigger, take up any slack and press smoothly.

Now, go practice and report back any improvements on Monday. :D
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Aye Aye! Sir!...Waiting for the wind to die down a little. shooter45, I had two extractions come back and smack me right in the forehead yesterday...What causes that?...;)
  4. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Erratic extraction ,can be caused by a bad extractor ,or bad extractor tension

They should extract the same place everytime
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

One thing I did to my oldest 1911 years ago, to help with the consistent grip, was to add a set of SA grips and a Pearce finger grip device. This wraps around the frame, under the wood, and puts rubber finger grips on any 1911. The SA grips have a slight palm swell and thin-ness at the thumb position.

All these add up to a very distictive "feel" at the holster, creating a very consistent grip position on the pistol at the draw.

There are several other items out there that work along these angles.

Just food for thought.
  6. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

SG, while grip is important......"stance" is more so. Many concentrate to hard on grip and trigger, negating stance.
    Myself, I consider it the number one problem of pistol shooters (learning that is) If you take your standard stance (yours) and take aim at the target, close your eyes and count to two. Open your eyes and see if your still on target (I would be willing to bet, you are not.) Adjust your feet and body, do it over until your on target, paint it (feet) on a piece of plywood if needed. Once learned (muscle memory) it will become second nature. This should come long before grip and trigger control.

LTS
  7. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

LTS, I'll give it a try the first chance I get...and report back...Thanks for the tip!...:cool:
  8. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

This tip helped me the most to improve my shooting. I recommend everyone to try it.

For you righties, hold your pistol as low as possible in your hand, without causing the slide to nick your hand. Wrap your fingers firmly around the grip, and place your fingers against each other so you don't leave any space between them, even if there is room for you to do so. Point your thumb tword the target. Place your left hand around your right hand, and place your thumb against your right hand thumb, again pointing it tword the target. Before sighting through the pistol sights, you should use your thumbs to find your target, then look through the sights. This technique takes practice, and some getting use to, but it works for me.

To keep your aim steady, push outward firmly with your right hand against your left hand. And, push inward firmly with your left hand against your right hand. Your right arm should be more straight than your left arm, but not completely straight. It's your chest, arm and shoulder muscles that will keep your aim steady with this technique.

Again, this works great for me, but maybe not for you. In part, shoot however makes you most comfortable.

EDIT: I forgot to say, don't let your left arm elbow dip down too far. It doesn't need to be perfectly perpendicular with your body, but don't let it dip too low.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I modified this for SoMo and me, both left handed, Silencer. Did I get it without missing something??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For you southpaws, hold your pistol as low as possible in your hand, without causing the slide to nick your hand. Wrap your fingers firmly around the grip, and place your fingers against each other so you don't leave any space between them, even if there is room for you to do so. Point your thumb toward the target. Place your right hand around your leftt hand, and place your thumb against your left hand thumb, again pointing it toward the target. Before sighting through the pistol sights, you should use your thumbs to find your target, then look through the sights. This technique takes practice, and some getting use to, but it works for me.

To keep your aim steady, push outward firmly with your left hand against your right hand. And, push inward firmly with your right hand against your left hand. Your left arm should be more straight than your rightt arm, but not completely straight. It's your chest, arm and shoulder muscles that will keep your aim steady with this technique.

Don't let your rightt arm elbow dip down too far. It doesn't need to be perfectly perpendicular with your body, but don't let it dip too low.
  10. Shooter45

For all interested, I'll post this link again.

Follow the instructions, Lesson 1 is "Stance and Grip".

It will help any shooter, novice or pro.

Click on the link.

www.americanshooter.com/features/features.html

Edited to correct the URL, Sam.

And the lessons are free. :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2004
  11. Marlin

That's a terrific article, Sam. Thanks.

However, SoMo and I will have to remember to change hands since we both shoot left-handed.
  12. Shooter45

Marlin, everyone needs to practice their weak hand( right hand to you two) shooting also. You never know when you'll need it.
  13. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yep! Lefties rule!!! Thanks for the link shooter45...and thanks for the fix Marlin!...;)
  14. Marlin

Sam, I caan shoot a hand gun right handed, if necessary. I fully realize where you are coming from.

However, I absolutely cannot shoot a long gun or a shotgun from the wrong side. I've tried for 60 years unsuccessfully. One reason is how terribly strong my left eye orientation is and how week the right is.
  15. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

SG, you weren't lookin to see where those casings were commin out of when you got hit were you? Try to keep your head BEHIND the pistol. I know you are a wheelgun guy so this is just a heads up, so to speak. :D