air conditioner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Jun 22, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have 3 low profile air conditioners under bed upstairs went to pull them out and every single one of them broke to pcs, frame is plastic i guess they served there purpose must be 10 years old. went and got one 6000 btu $160 with timer,remote,temp setting just love it and boy is it quiet. My sister and i carried them from upstairs out to trunk of car with a break in between each one. If i could have seen one of the lawn guys i would have offered him $20.00 to do it for me but no one around
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Those window unit seem to work better. I had central air put in about 10 years ago but I miss my window units. I could get a room as cold as I wanted with them. Like January in Chicago.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

saves on your electric bill also
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Sure does if you like to cool specific zones in your house.

Still the plastic broke, but do the units still work? Sounds like a job for Mr. Duct Tape! (might look like crap but stick them in the back rooms :D )
  5. bobski

bobski Former Guest

all depends on how old the house is. alot of old houses had plugs away from windows to keep open window rain from shorting them.
    then, the window ac's would need a extension...which is not good for heavy use ac units.
    old houses with coal stoves that have vents already in place were just hooked up to new 10/12 ton ac units. and again, the vents arent insulated, so a lot of the cool went away in the walls, making it a no win situation.
    i use roll around ac units and vent them out the fireplace.