Air Pelochit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lori Mick, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I think it's time to write her a letter and tell her that we don't want to PAY for her transportation anymore! She loves to pick on everybody else! Well screw this!
    Ochit and Pelochit love to travel on our bucks! I think it's time for them to buy a GM car and drive!

Pelosi Made Repeated Requests for Military Aircraft, Documents Show
    Representatives for Judicial Watch, which obtained e-mails and other documents showing the requests, say House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has treated the Air Force as her "personal airline."
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has repeatedly requested military aircraft to shuttle her and her colleagues and family around the country, according to a new report from a conservative watchdog group.

Representatives for Judicial Watch, which obtained e-mails and other documents from a Freedom of Information request, said the correspondence shows Pelosi has abused the system in place to accommodate congressional leaders and treated the Air Force as her "personal airline."

Pelosi's office disputed the claim, pointing to White House policy enacted after the Sept. 11 attacks allowing for the House speaker to travel to his or her congressional district via military aircraft whenever possible for security reasons. Her office said she typically uses the same kind of aircraft used by her predecessor, Dennis Hastert.

But Judicial Watch said that Pelosi was notorious for making special demands for high-end aircraft, lodging last-minute cancellations and racking up additional expenses for the military.

The e-mails showed repeated attempts by Pelosi aides to request aircraft, sometimes aggressively, and by Department of Defense officials to accommodate them.

"I think that's above and beyond what other members of Congress are doing and what is expected of our elected officials," said Jenny Small, a researcher with the group.

In one e-mail, aide Kay King complained to the military that they had not made available any aircraft the House speaker wanted for Memorial Day recess.

"It is my understanding there are NO G5s available for the House during the Memorial Day recess. This is totally unacceptable ... The Speaker will want to know where the planes are," King wrote.

In another, when told a certain type of aircraft would not be available, King wrote: "This is not good news, and we will have some very disappointed folks, as well as a very upset Speaker."

Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami said the report seemed to be based on only "a few e-mails," and defended the requests for military aircraft for her colleagues as a "function of the speaker's office." Elshami said at least one of the requests in the above e-mails referenced requests made for other members.

Pelosi's office noted that the Department of Defense ultimately makes all decisions on use of military aircraft for travel, and that Pelosi is "extraordinarily appreciative" of the department's effort to accommodate Congress.
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

I would love to know what "stretch's" travel cost to the taxpayers is.
    :D I think Fox News is about to do a story on this in the next few minutes.

This is a link to an older story. Stretch and her buddies need to be drug from their golden hog trough by the short hairs and told to hit the fing road. :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/ar..._free_military_air_travel_for_adult_children/

Pelosi Demands Free Military Air Travel for Adult Children of Congress
    James Joyner | Wednesday, June 13, 2007

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is demanding that the military fly adult children of Congressmen around for free, Mike Soraghan reports for The Hill.

Pentagon officials are bracing for a fight with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) over her desire to allow lawmakers’ adult children to tag along on taxpayer-funded travel for free. Pelosi wants them to be able to fill the role of lawmakers’ spouses when the latter are unable to make a trip because of health issues or work commitments.

“It has been longstanding policy that, in the absence of a congressional spouse, the adult child of a member of Congress may accompany the member on official U.S. government travel abroad for protocol reasons and without reimbursing the U.S. Treasury,” Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami said. “Speaker Pelosi believes that a modern policy must reflect the professional responsibilities or health realities that might prevent a spouse from participating, and instead permit an adult child to fulfill the protocol needs of the official trip.”

Pentagon officials say the policy is that the Treasury must be reimbursed at commercial rates for children who accompany members on such trips, often called codels.

Pelosi’s office inquired about such travel on June 1, according to a Department of Defense memo obtained by The Hill. In a June 8 memo, the head of legislative affairs for the Pentagon, Robert L. Wilkie, told Defense Secretary Robert Gates that he sees Pelosi’s question as a first step toward challenging the policy. “We were told that the Speaker would expect that members’ children (of married and unmarried [members of Congress]) would not have to reimburse the Treasury,” Wilkie wrote. “We expect future challenges from the House leadership on this policy.” Pentagon aides did not respond to requests for comment.

But taxpayer watchdog groups and ethics advocates said they were surprised Pelosi would seek more perks for members. “One of the things she was praised for when she came in was her sweeping reforms on gifts and travel,” said Craig Holman of Public Citizen. “It is very disheartening if she is, in fact, backsliding on this.”

Public Citizen filed a complaint with the IRS last year, saying that family members who receive free travel by accompanying lawmakers should pay taxes on the travel’s value. The complaint focused on privately sponsored travel, but Holman said it should apply to taxpayer-funded travel as well. “I don’t see any difference,” Holman said.

In its first week with a Democratic majority this year, the House passed what Pelosi called “the toughest congressional ethics reform in history.” It forbade gifts and travel from lobbyists and banned travel on corporate jets. It did not address publicly funded travel such as codels.

[...]

The president’s family, such as President Bush’s twin daughters, can travel without reimbursement. They cannot fly commercially for security reasons. But most executive-branch officials either do not bring family members on military aircraft or reimburse, Stanley said. Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld would fly with his wife back to Taos, N.M., he said, but was scrupulous about reimbursing.

Frankly, if there are seats available, I’m not sure there’s much harm in children, friends, or whomever the dignitary wishes to invite along being allowed to ride along. Still, it comes across as highhanded for the Speaker to demand this sort of treatment as a perk.

It’s also, as Brad Dayspring argues, a rather odd fight for her to pick while she’s on the “clean up Congress” bandwagon.

Related:

Pentagon Rebuffs Pelosi Plane Upgrade Request (February 8, 2007)
    Nancy Pelosi’s Private Military Plane (February 5, 2007)

Art
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

i say give them all a bicycle:eek:
  4. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

Yes! And decrease their income to $35K, and give them a food budget of $25 a week. I'm so sick of hearing about all of them partying every Wednesday night, going shopping, traveling and having a ball while they beg for more money to spend.
    They just want Us to help the poor people while they don't pay their taxes and blatently don't give a flying rats butt about us!
    grrrrr

ok...I vented...
    Ochit, Pelochit, Barneybullchit, chuck the shmuck, Geinthergob, and all the rest of them can kiss my butt! :D
  5. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Even better, put a boot up their butts to propel them wherever they need to go.:D That's one gov't job I'd galdly volunteer for:p:D:D:D;)