air temp, altitude, and, air density effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KonanO, Oct 23, 2011.

1. KonanO

KonanO New Member

Hey.. I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion to add to the general formula for Kinetic Energy (stopping power) which would impact on the rise and fall over a 100 yd range independent of grain. It would help on calculating zeroing in independent of the ammo manufacturers.

ie K=1/2 M*V2(.000142)
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Those effects on an airplane are called Density Altitude.You need more speed to get the same effects that you would get at sea level in reguards to lift or rate of climb.It's a real killer of pilots at high elevation airports in the heat of the day.So a bullet at a high altitude would have less resistance and less air molecules effecting it. Which would result in it reaching higher speeds.
  3. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Wow! There may be a Most Esoteric New Question Award in this for you! :bow:

I'm sure the question is valid...though I can't say off the top of my head whether the effect is even noticeable enough to matter at 100 yards. Or even 200 or 300.

I know military snipers consider such things for extra long range shots. I would try to find some source for some of their info.

Anyone got any ideas?
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Don't know what to tell you old buddy, as a target shooter the only thing I worried about between 100 and 500 yards was wind and light, (because of using iron sights), After 600 yards humidity, temperature, altitude etc. were added to wind as factors. 100 yards is so close I honestly don't think you would get any meaningful measurements in energy differences. You certainly wont notice any meaningful difference in point of impact in up close and personal shooting at 100 yards except with lower power guns and maybe round nose bullets like a 30-30 or handgun bullets.