Air Travel & Firearms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by onephxguy, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Alpo, I'm wit you on this one ! Its incumbent upon the "carrier" to know the laws prevailing where he's at ! And the "checking in per regs" seems a bit over the top to me as well.

OTOH, the SONJ used to reap a rich harvest of hunters passing throught NJ on I-80 enroute to New England with arms and ammunition after dark ! God help those in possession of a pistol for a bear hunt ! IOW the state - via the NJSP - took maximum advantage of NJ's "restricted possession" laws !

Trappers had to have special "permission slips" to carry a rifle while running their traps in the wee hours ! >MW
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The tag goes inside the case with the gun. It is illegal to mark the case outward in any way to show it has a firearm in it.

Used to was, 20 years or more ago, the law said that you put a bright red tag on the handle of the bag, saying UNLOADED FIREARM INSIDE, but that law has been changed.
  3. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Alpo, this is right from the TSA site:

"TSA must resolve all alarms of checked luggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
    If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm."

Now, what good would a tag on the inside of a bag do? How can TSA determine there is a tag on the inside of a bag?

There has to be some identification on the outside so the TSA lacky can tell it has been properly screened.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

How can it "alarm"?

When it goes through xray, the TSA guy is gonna see the gun. And if the machine is set up right, they can also see the tag laying on it. Can't read it, of course, but they can see it.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

It's always nice, when saying, "I saw this on the site", to link to the site.

Yes, I see where it says that. What alarm?

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=70

>Cases will not be labeled as containing firearms. That practice was outlawed almost 10 years ago. Federal law now states: "No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm." [18 USC Sec. 922(e)] TSA will warn any airline that is marking cases that it is in violation of the law.<
  5. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ok, I surrender
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Though I've never traveled by air with a firearm, it is my understanding that you present the firearm, in a locked approved case to TSA. The key remains in your possecion and the case is tagged and then checked into baggage.