Air travel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tomykay12, Sep 25, 2010.

1. tomykay12

tomykay12 New Member

Hi, new member here. I am travelling from fla to calif soon with some firearms from my deceased father. There are two rifles, one shotgun, and four or five handguns. My thought was to strip everything, USPS what is legal to ship like stocks, mags, etc, and pack the stripped guns in a double gun case. Is there any restriction on the number of firearms that may be carried at any one time?? Can't seem to find any info on this, other than the generic TSA guidlines, nothing about multiple firearms. Thanx for any help, tomas
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

You need to find out if the firearms you are taking to the land of strict gun laws are first of allowed in California. I have traveled allover the US with firearms on planes and it is usually up yo the individual airline. Unloaded,no ammo,locked in a SECURE case that is airline approved and under the plane. OR find a FFL dealer in California and send them FFL to FFL dealer. Just a thought. Back in the day my folks sent me mine through regular mail. My father retired from the post office after 32 years and YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE what goes through the regular mail.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You don't need to involve FFLs. It is perfectly legal to send YOUR guns to YOURSELF, anywhere in the country.

Rifles and shotguns are mailable. Just box 'em up and send 'em to whoever you were planning on mailing the stocks and magazines to. Address them to YOU, in care of THEM. Let them know that they cannot open the box - that it has to be opened by you.

You could do the same with the pistols, but they can't be mailed. Must go UPS or FedEx. Both of those greedy bottomfeeders require pistols to go "next day air", and with four of 'em in the box, it would probably cost you close to a hundred bucks to send 'em. Those I'd have in my checked baggage.
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Considering that all baggeage now departing from a major airport is now scanned by sniffer devices(explosives,gunpowder) you had better advise the airline. Last military school I went to my kevlar set off the machine and i had to unpack my entire seabag to show the TSA it was a kevlar. Trust ME on that one.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well of course you advise the airline. Who cares about sniffers? All bags are xrayed. When the screen shows four pistols in the bag, someone is gonna get suspicious, and someone else is gonna get arrested, unless the airline knows they are there.
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Don't most airlines put huge stickers all over a bag that says CAUTION: FIREARMS!!! or some such? Yeah, legally you have to advise the airline or face being tackled by security. I am sure the proper forms can be found on airlines' websites, if you jump through all their hoops they won't hassle you [as much].

I want to travel with guns sometime just to see how they handle it all.
  7. tomykay12

tomykay12 New Member

Of course I will declare, that is not the question; Is there a limit to the number of firearms that can be legally transported by an individual at one time??? Thanx, tk
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Yes they do- GIANT stickers that state: Caution Firearm-like it is going to hurt you in the state it is in. It is also how they come up ''missing '' alot. Some og the biggest thieves are the baggage guys. I have cop friends at the airport and they told me that is their biggest crime. Well that and lost kids
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

How long as it been since you flew with a gun? It is ILLEGAL to mark the case in any way that it contains a firearm. Has been for at least ten years. The first time I ever got on a plane was 2000, but it was illegal to mark the cases even then.

Yes, they used to hang a big red tag on the case - FIREARMS. And guess what? Guns were being stolen. They used to mark the outside of the package at UPS and FedEx, also. And again, guns were being stolen. Now it is illegal to mark the case in any way.

You take the case up to the ticket counter. You tell them, "I wish to declare a firearm". You open the case and show them that the gun(s) is(are) unloaded. They bring out a red tag that says, "UNLOADED FIREARM". They date it. You sign it. You put it in the case with the guns. INSIDE THE CASE. Shut the case. Lock the case. Done.

It ain't no big deal, folks.

The guns have to be in a lockable hard case. Since your normal guncase screams "GUN" even without being marked, when I flew with pistols, I would use the MTM hard plastic cases. Hard plastic that lock with a padlock. I'd put them inside my suitcase. They were in a "locked hard case", so they met the rules. The case was inside my suitcase so it was not seen by every sticky-fingered Tom, Dick and Harry in the baggage department.
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I meant that the paranoid airlines themselves had placed stickers on the baggage. Perhaps they don't anymore, but I wouldn't know because I don't plan to fly anytime soon.
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

It has been awhile and since 9-11 all my air travel has been with the US Government.
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Back to the original question.

No, there is not a limit on how many. They have a limit on how much ammo (usually eleven pounds) but not on how many guns.
  13. tomykay12

tomykay12 New Member

Thankyou, tk