1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Aircraft nicknames.....

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Xracer
    (6/18/01 4:35:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Aircraft nicknames.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What aircraft were these...

1. Gooney Bird

2. Wobblin' Goblin

3. Flying Prostitute

4. Missile With A Man In It

5. Widowmaker

6. 90 knot Wonder

7. Aluminum Overcast

8. Slow But Deadly

9. Lead Sled

10. Wind Indicator

11. Thud

12. Jug

13. Number 1 Lighter

14. Stringbags

15. Flying Coffin

tuckerd1
    (6/18/01 5:25:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Aircraft nicknames.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Gooney Bird - C47 Skytrain

2. Wobblin' Goblin - F-117A Night Hawk

3. Flying Prostitute - B-26 Martin Marauder

4. Missile With A Man In It - F-104 Starfighter

5. Widowmaker - F-104 Starfighter & XP-72 Republic

6. 90 knot Wonder -

7. Aluminum Overcast - C-5 Galaxy7 & Douglas C-124 Globemaster & Convair B-36 Peacemaker

8. Slow But Deadly - SBD Dauntless

9. Lead Sled - F-105 Thunderchief

10. Wind Indicator -

11. Thud - F-105 Thunderchief

12. Jug - P-47 Thunderbolt

13. Number 1 Lighter - Heinkel He-177

14. Stringbags - Fairey Swordfish

15. Flying Coffin - MIG 21

All I could get so far.

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 6/18/01 6:29:38 pm

Kdubya
    (6/18/01 6:14:56 pm)
    Pretty darn'd good, Tuckerd -

Ya got a couple more than I would have!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/18/01 10:17:47 pm)
    The "Wind Indicator" was the SB2U Vought Vindicator.

There were PLENTY of planes named the "Widowmaker," the B-26 was one.

The B-26, and to a lesser extent the B-24, were called the "Flying Prostitute" because the wings were so thin and relatively small area wise, so it had "no visible means of support."

Wasn't the "90 knot Wonder" the Piper Cubs? Or was it the PBY, I forget...

Xracer
    (6/19/01 11:36:18 am)
    Excellent tuckered & polish.

What I was looking for was the earliest aircraft called by these "nicknames".....shoulda said so.

tuckerd.....you're right on most of them.....but there was an earlier "Lead Sled". The B-26A & B were known as both "The Flying Prostitute" (no visibile means of support) and the "Widowmaker" due to it's high wing loading and consequent "twitchy" handling. The wingspan was lengthened only after Senator Harry Truman, head of the Truman Commission, threatened to withhold funding for the purchase of more B-26s (and, in private, threatened Glenn Martin with murder charges).

Right on the Vindicator, Polish......and yes, I was thinking as the PBY as "The 90-knot Wonder". Took off at 90 knots, cruised at 90 knots, top speed 90 knots, landed at 90 knots.

Number 1 Lighter......well the He-177 "Greif" was certainly a "very hot" (as in "Das richt engine ist geburnning again, Hans!"), there was an aircraft what was called this by their aircrew.....and it was a front-line aircraft.
    What was it?

Hey, you guys are good! I'll have to make the next one tougher.

Flying Coffin.....I suppose lots of aircraft qualify, but I'm looking for the first one.....think WWI.

tuckerd1
    (6/19/01 11:52:23 am)
    Guys, I'll have to admit: I CHEATED!! Looked 'em up on the internet. I enjoy history, but I ain't as good at details as you guys are. I read what ya'll post, but I can't contribute in depth like ya'll. Keep it up though and we all learn.

polishshooter
    (6/19/01 1:23:03 pm)
    Wild Stab....BE2C? For the Flying Coffin...

If we're talking WWI, the "Lighter" COULD be the DH-4, that fuel tank between the seats DID flame pretty easily.

Back at ya... What kind of plane was the JFU?

Xracer
    (6/19/01 4:15:37 pm)
    Hmmmm.....well, if it was a Navy, Marine, or Coast Guard aircraft made since 1935, JFU would make it a seaplane fighter made by Chance-Vought, Vought-Sikorsky, or United Aircraft.....and I don't know of any.

On the "Flying Coffin".....think Snoopy.

polishshooter
    (6/19/01 10:12:30 pm)
    Oh the Sopwith Camel with the QUICK roll to the right with that rotary....or was that the left?

Hint, the JFU was first "in action" officially at Midway, but never made it off the ground....later it was used extensively at Cactus, and just about any other airfield in the Pacific the Japs could reach...

Xracer
    (6/19/01 10:38:53 pm)
    OK, Polish.......ya got me on that JFU. The only close designator I can think of was the JRF Grumman "Goose, but that was a loooooong time after the Cactus Air Force.

OK, guys, here's the rest...........

Lead Sled......F-84F Thunderflash

#1 Lighter......Mitsubishi GM4 "Betty" (that's what the Jap aircrew called 'em)

Flying Coffin....(sorry Snoopy) Sopwith Camel.

polishshooter
    (6/21/01 9:53:10 pm)
    You guys will shoot me...

The JFU was a "decoy" plane built from pallets, scrap, and parts of wrecked planes to look like a real one that they would put at the other end of the runway to draw strafing and bombs away from the real targets.

They called their's the "JFU" at Midway, it's in several sources.

It stood for "Jap Foul Upper." Or probably a euphemism along the lines of "Situation Normal All FOULED Up"

It became a tradition to have one at all airfields after Midway at least if Marines were there!

Edited by: polishshooter at: 6/21/01 10:54:00 pm

kdubaz
    (6/22/01 12:10:43 am)
    thud.............thud............thud.......(the sound of Kdub banging his head on the desk!)

You guys had better watch it - just ordered some out-of-print books on WW II military aircraft from Borders. I'll see just how "expert" you really are! Promise not to sneak any dummy aircraft questions into the thread, tho!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

Edited by: kdubaz at: 6/22/01 2:00:31 pm

polishshooter
    (6/22/01 3:34:19 pm)
    Soory Kdub, that WAS pretty low of me...

Xracer
    (6/22/01 5:02:51 pm)
    Lower than Polish horse turd............

Shame, shame, shame!!!!

Hey Polish......I got my multi-engine license in a "Bamboo Bomber".....know what that one was?

polishshooter
    (6/22/01 10:43:18 pm)
    No, I don't recall, but I've heard the name before somewhere in a book...a twin woodie, Hhhmmmmmmmm.....

Xracer
    (6/23/01 8:30:21 am)
    Yep.......Cessna UC-78. Military version of the twin-engined Cessna Bobcat.

Not a bad bird, pretty easy to fly, but tough to get the tailwheel down on landing.