Ak-47 and brass casings

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by joshj, Sep 9, 2011.

1. joshj

joshj New Member

I have an old but well taken care of Ak. When I bought it, they guy told me that the gun didn't like brass casings and to stick with steel. I tried it and he was right. Does anyone know why this is and if there is a way to get around it? The caliber is 7.62x39. I would love to reload this caliber but if my gun won't take brass then there is no point.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Post some details as to what its doing different with the brass that it isnt doing to the steel.. Pictures would be good too.

Welcome to TFF..:)
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Because the headspace is rather excessive or the chamber is damaged in some way. When the brass expands its biting into the chamber somewhere. Steel does not expand as readily so it fixes the issue. thats a bandaid for a potential serious problem. Sorry:eek: Another issues is in the feed. Some AK's feed at a higher angle than others. Don't know why, but when you have a gun that can be made in a cave then you can guess. The higher feed angle guns with brass crush it rather than feed it.
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Mine would crush brass right at the neck badly and it was a Polytech under folder I got in 1990. Great and accurate but the brass comment is right on. They were made to be shot dirty and not maintained. Dependable? YES.
  5. garydude

garydude Member

Welcome Josh, glad you made it! I can't help with the AK issue, other than to say the previous advice certainly sounds reasonable to me.

Enjoy the TFF; it's a great group of amazingly generous and, dare I say brilliant enthusiasts. They have helped me with many an issue.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah its pretty bright in here at times.. ;)
  7. K75RT

K75RT New Member

Joshj,
    There are several factors about your AK that need to be cleared up first. Who is the maker? Can you provide pictures of the spent ctgs? Depending on who made it...perhaps the chamber need to be polished....
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

looks like a hit n run to me..
  9. joshj

joshj New Member

It has been about 4 years since I have tried it, but if I remember correctly the brass wouldn't even load into my magazines. It was like they were bigger in diameter than the steel casings.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

hmm. I aint ever experienced that problem with brass cases in an AK. sure your mags arent seigned for 5.45X39 instead of 7.62X39?? that would make sense to me at least
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

IF that is the case....the weapon should have blown up by now. Go to know what you are shootin'
  12. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

The 7.62 rounds shouldn't fit the 5.45 mags. I was looking for pics and came across this page. Looks like the 5.45 is narrower and the neck tappers differently the the 7.62 case.

http://forum.pafoa.org/1189453-post-3.html
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yall are right but it is a AK, they arent known for spot on tolerances and the 5.45 mags will fit a few 7.62 rounds, and if its pretty loose may take a whole bunch. It was just a thought..

Im not a big fan of the AK, its a utterly reliable design and thats where its merits stop. They are lead slingers, not shot placers.
  14. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Will Hayden changed that.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

In a manner of speaking yes, But in my mind hes just putting a big pink ribbon around a stinky turd. They have cool factor. Ultimate badguy gun factor, I used to have 2 of them, but when it comes to hitting what you aim at where you aim at it, unless its 50 yds away or less, prolly isnt gonna happen.