The Firearms Forum banner

AK-47 Bolt & Bolt Carrier Question

17K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ka64 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a Century Arms Zastava Pap M70 that I recently bought. I was told that this gun was originally designed for single stack mags, when Century Arms got there hands on it they milled out the mag well to accept the standard double stack AK mags. Well in doing so they left the single stack bolt and bolt carrier, so you have a problem at times getting the gun to feed a cartridge when pulling the bolt back. When I took mine to the range I had that happen to me twice that day. I also heard that you could change the bolt and carrier out to a standard Yugo M70 bolt and carrier to fix the problem. I was wondering if any of you guys knew if this was true?

#5 ·
I dont recall there being a difference in bolts and carriers between single stack AKs and regular AKs. Main thing is make sure you arent riding the charging handle down when you chamber a round. Just pull it fully rearward and let it go. trust the mechanism to seat a fresh round.

#6 · (Edited)
I dont recall there being a difference in bolts and carriers between single stack AKs and regular AKs. Main thing is make sure you arent riding the charging handle down when you chamber a round. Just pull it fully rearward and let it go. trust the mechanism to seat a fresh round.
Yep. There is only one Size of Bolt & carrier in that AK, depending on calibre.

Try different Mags.

#11 ·
Do you think it matters that it is a Polish bolt? I heard you only want to use Yugo parts in this gun. Also sorry about all the questions guys, im new to the AK platform and this is my primary TEOTWAWKI weapon so I want to be 110% sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.