The Firearms Forum banner

AK-47s: What country makes it the best? Warning: I'm a newbie with military long guns

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  kfb2b 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been answered a billion times before, but I can't find the answer around. Please don't hate me:

I've become interested in getting an AK-47. Since there are more countries building these things than you can count, and since they are basically identical (I think), it probably comes down to general quality control and craftsmanship as to which country generally builds the better AK.

In order, which country makes the best to worst version of AK's out there? I'm having trouble finding a Russian one but can get a Romanian. Romanian version decent?

Also, I'm new to these and other military long guns. How easy is it to get 7.62 X 39 ammo? Is it known by any other designation in the US, just like 5.56 is thought of like 223 REM, etc.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Re: AK-47s: What country makes it the best? Warning: I'm a newbie with military long

Well, if you can find a AK with a milled receiver, you got a good gun. But, most semi-auto's are built from parts kits and usually have a stamped receiver. The best semi-auto AK, IMHO, is one made from a Romanian kit and a receiver no less then 1.5mm thick. (Always ask the seller how think the receiver is, in Millimeters.)

As far as ammo goes, its correct caliber name would be .30 Soviet, but 7.62x39 is what everyone calls it.

#3 ·
Re: AK-47s: What country makes it the best? Warning: I'm a newbie with military long

First off I have had several AK's with stamped and milled recievers and other than the weight of the gun, I couldn't tell the difference while shooting. Romanians and Yugo's are the best ones I have had, The ammo is really easy to find and cheap to buy in bulk. Their is also .223 AK's and 5.45x39 AK's

#4 ·

The one I'm considering is this one, although I'm getting it from a different source (same price, though):

Anyone familiar with this thing? I'm putting in an order for it tonight.

Thanks!

#6 ·

That looks kinda like a Shotgun News ad, They usually are but make sure they are a well established trustworthy company
I just pulled that image off the internet because it was the only image I could find to show you guys. The one I'm getting I saw in the dealer's supplier's catalogue, but I forget which company that is. It's one of his main suppliers, though.

I just wanted to show you guys the gun I am considering. It's the same model number: AK-RWUMPG, located just above the price on this image.

Anyone know this gun?

#7 ·

You're on the right track, but you're fretting a bit much.

It's an AK. The most genereric weapon in history....ever. An AK is pretty much an AK.

Buy it. Shoot it. Switching parts to get it like you want is too easy.

Get your AK and have fun. It's not like you're marrying it. If she ain't your flavor........

ps...7.62x39 is cheap/plentiful

#8 ·

You're on the right track, but you're fretting a bit much.

It's an AK. The most genereric weapon in history....ever. An AK is pretty much an AK.

Buy it. Shoot it. Switching parts to get it like you want is too easy.

Get your AK and have fun. It's not like you're marrying it. If she ain't your flavor........

ps...7.62x39 is cheap/plentiful
Your post alone made me place the order. Thanks.

Now, as for ammo, I can get Wolf brand ammo real cheap. Probably anyone can, as I'm learning.

I've never used it. Never even heard of it until the other day. Is it okay? I'm sure the AK will fire rocks with firecrackers duct-taped to the tail end, judging by what I hear, but is Wolf okay?

Thanks, everyone!

#9 ·

Everyone has a preference for plinking ammo. I buy whatever is on clearence. Sometimes it's a good idea to shoot a lil' of this-lil' of that just to see what you like.

Wolf ammo is decent. The newer stuff has a different coating on the cartridge cases...check with the seller/retailer. Either way, I'd bet you'll be happy with Wolf.

Keep in mind that your AK will digest whatever you feed it. The important thing as that you feed it often and alot:D

#11 · (Edited)

Wolf ammo is decent. The newer stuff has a different coating on the cartridge cases...check with the seller/retailer. Either way, I'd bet you'll be happy with Wolf.

Keep in mind that your AK will digest whatever you feed it. The important thing as that you feed it often and alot:D
... and ...

southernshooter said:
Like Delta said an AK will feed anything that fits in the barrel. Wolf is a great AK and SKS ammo, Although it has a lot of issues in an AR
I'm glad I joined this forum. Thanks, folks! I hear my AK should be arriving sometime in the middle of the week.:D

#12 ·

If you want the best of the best in a semi-custom format, then save your sheckles & rubles and buy a krebs, but remember, it costs more than AR-15!!!
if you want the best production gun out there, it is a tight race between the VEPR and the Arsenal Inc guns, and they are in that $600-700 range.

there is nothing wrong with the Romanian guns. I have one in each caliber and they are not as nice or as accurate as the first two, but then again, I bought all three for the cost of one krebs, so go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.