AK Magazine Disassembly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 3:01:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    How do I take a 30 round AK/SKS mag apart
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seems that there is some ammo hung up in it and the spring isn't bringing it to the top.

So being that I can't stand having something loaded that I don't consider safe this is beginning to drive me bonkers.

The other one worked flawlessly.

Thank you for any and all help.

Oh and this mag looks exactly like the U.S.A. mag that worked but it doesn't have USA stamped on it.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 6:43:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: How do I take a 30 round AK/SKS mag apart
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You should be able to take the floorplate out and dump everything out the bottom. Look for a raised tab or button to push in to allow the floorplate to slide off...
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 6:52:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Thanks AntiqueDr - however, that seems to be stuck too - just tried the empty one and it works fine - nice to know that's how one does it though.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 9:15:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: How do I take a 30 round AK/SKS mag apart
    T, give it a sharp rap on the thin side, primer side. It should release and bring the rounds to the top....if that doesn`t work, rap it on the reverse thin edge(bullet end). Flat hard surface....these mags are tough...don`t worry about denting it. LTS

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 10:09:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Thanks LTS - I went outside and rapped it against the wheelchair ramp into the house - got the spring to move and the last rounds to come to the top (still can't get the bottom thing to slide off though). Ah well tomorrow nights project.

Right now just plain busy loading stripper clips - forgot I had something like 200-400 clips in the house (where they all are is another matter).

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/5/02 8:07:59 am)
    AK mags are cheap, I'd pick up a couple more, especially if you're down to one working one. Never know when the SHTF scenario is going to happen, can't be too prepared.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 8:15:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    gunrunnerjohn - these 30 round mags are made for SKS's and these particular 2 are the only ones that I know work with this Russian SKS (and if I ever find the asshole who did what he did [it had to be a guy because few women are that involved into rifles] I'd skin him).

As it is those 2 30-round mags are the only ones I can use on this SKS and I'm not even sure I could interchange one of my 10 round SKS mags (they are both Chinese).

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/6/02 12:28:04 pm)
    Bummer, I'd have to do some searching for additional mags, I can't believe they're the only ones on the planet.

chad
    (7/6/02 3:42:00 pm)
    I had the same trouble with my SKS mags. After twenty days on the water, salt would get in the springs and cause them to jam. Now I clean them out with gun scrubber and spray silicon in them. They seem to work a little smoother now.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/6/02 3:48:30 pm)
    T, and hammer and chisel works well, I personally prefer using a torch!