AK or AR?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by rowdyredneck, May 12, 2007.

1. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

I'm thinking about adding an AK-47 to my collection. I figure now is the time to buy while we still can. I've been looking at online auctions, ect. and from what I can gather the Chinese Norinco is about the best quality AK although they come at a much higher price and are harder to find. The Romanian models seem very common and affordable, but is there any difference in accuracy/reliabilty between the two? I don't want a cheap piece of crap and I'm willing to spend a little more on something decent but for what a Norinco goes for I could almost buy an AR-15 and possibly have a better rifle. Any thoughts?
  2. NY_GUNFIGHTER

NY_GUNFIGHTER New Member

Friend, it all depends on what the rifle is for, and what the ranges are. The Norincos aren't bad at all. What it basically comes down to is your preference of caliber and operating systems. The AK is probably the most ruggedly built autoloader in the world, while ARs are usually more accurate to longer ranges, but are less reliable due to the self-dirtying direct impingement system. The AK round is more of a man-stopper than the AR, but there are many different loads for the AR, while mostly mil-surplus and Wolf ammo for the AK. Ball ammo for both is relatively inexpensive.
    If cost is not an issue, check out these sites for some gas-piston hybrids:

http://www.robarm.com/M96_Home.htm

http://www.robarm.com

http://www.pof-usa.com/index.htm

If cost is an issue, check out Bushmaster. They're pretty damn good. Or, Rock River Arms is even better. Hope I helped
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The AK is a stamped sheet metal gun, designed to be cheap, and designed to be loose so it will shoot reguardless of the amount of sand or mud or dryied out dirt inside the workings of the gun. Loose means less accuracy.

The AR15's are all precision machined aluminum, some plastic, and steel. While they are supposed to be able to run dirty and full of sand or mud, the truth is they must be kept clean to function at all.

If you are planning to take one into combat (war or urban police) you want a gun that will always function, regardless....The AK is the answer. If you want a miltary arm that can be made into a precision shooting gun for varminting or target shooting or even shooting at cans in the field, then the AR is you answer. With interchangeable AR uppers you can have a field gun (for police or war activities) or a varmint flat top upper with a scope or even a 22 LR conversion upper. The AR is if nothing else versatile. The AK is what you get... a military for war gun. Yea, you can use it to shoot at targets or cans but that is not what it is good at.

So the bottom line is tough, rough, reliable (AK) vs precision and a lot of potential accuracy.

Personally I'll take accurate every time for my shooting so I have an AR clone. I have no need to go to war or play cop.

LDBennett
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Originally, AKs where Milled, but for cost effectiveness, they are now stamped. There are thicker stamped AKs where parts need to be fitted, slightly, for them to work.
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Check out the Yugo M70Ab2's
  6. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

I guess I don't intend to have a sniper grade rifle, I'm just looking for something to blast away at cans and other small targets within 100 yards. The stigma attached to the AK-47 makes it a little more desireable for me as well. Right now I don't know if I'm willing to spend upwards of $1,000 on an AR either. I have a Remington 700 which I use for longer range targets/varminting so that's not my main purpose for this rifle...
    I have a Norinco SKS so I was looking at AK's chambered for 7.62x39 so I can share ammo between the rifles. I've come across some AK kit rifles which use an American made receiver with Romanian parts kits for under $500 which I'm also considering.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Be sure to buy what you want. You will never be happy with any gun that you bought because others said it was what you needed.

My point was the the AK and AR, all though designed for the same military purpose, are two different guns. Whether the AK receiver is milled or stamped sheet metal, it is the tolerances of the design that determine the looseness of the parts. The AK design was meant to shoot no matter the crud inside it. AR's will not shoot if too dirty. Ask any Vietnam Vet about that one as the originial issue of them to the troops did not include a cleaning kit and the guns jambed incessantly until proper maintenance was employed. Today the AR's are use as match guns, replacing the M14 which replaced the M1 Garand. In matches they even use the AR on the 600 yd targets with special ammo loaded with bullets so long that they have to be single fed as they won't fit in the magazine.

I have a SKS that is well made and fun to shoot. I have a AR clone set up for target shooting (flat top, match barrel, floating barrel handgaurd, competition trigger, etc.). I don't have an AK as the SKS will do the same task and is not an assault rifle in California (versions without operational Grenade launcher). I own and keep what I want, not what others want for me. I suggest you do the same. You'll be a lot happier.

LDBennett
  8. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

I have a local dealer checking on AK prices and I hope to hear back from him soon. He said about all he can find is Romanians or Yugos. Which tends to be better in quality and fit of these two? I plan on putting a synthetic stock on it anyway so I'm not too worried about the furniture.
  9. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Try checking out www.ak-47.us/ they have reviews, lists of where AKs have been built overseas and a map indicating where AKs are being built in the US. Looks like a good resource for all things AK plus the obligatory AK vs. AR section. Got a feeling that may be a little biased though.
  10. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

I talked to the dealer a few minutes ago and unfortunately all of his distributors are out right now. All he can get is the AK-74 in 5.45 caliber which I don't want, or the RPK version with a 24" barrel. The price on that actually wasn't too bad, $425 for the gun, four clips, bipod and scope but I don't want that longer barrel. I might try to take a trip this weekend to another dealer which I know will do the transfer work if I find one online.
  11. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

Today I bought a Romanian WASR-10. I did some reading and found one of the common complaints was poor build quality where the reciever was milled out too much causing the clips to fit loosely. I test fit the clips in the gun before I bought it and they fit nice and snug so I made the deal and brought it home for $400 which included the sales tax. I also looked at a really nice AR but I can't justify spending that kind of money on one of those right now. I still would like one maybe in the future though.
    The rifle is crude and utilitarian which is exactly what I expected. The stock has to go though, its way too short for me. I plan on accessorising it anyway so thats one of the first things to be replaced. I haven't shot it yet, I still have to strip it down and clean out all the cosmoline so hopefully I can test fire it tomorrow.

Attached Files:

12. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Bushie and Colt! Look a little a like. Both shoot great.

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      104.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6721.jpg
      6721.jpg
      File size:
      8.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  13. sniper69

sniper69 Member

Looks nice. For a nice stock set checkout the nato length stocks from k-var. They add about 1.25" and it is a noticeable difference.

If you get hooked on AK's - norinco's, bulgarian (arsenal), and others can be found through brandx, private sale, etc.
  14. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

Just thought I would give an update. I installed some much needed upgrades last night and I'm very happy with it now. Here's a picture with Old Dixie as a backdrop:
    [​IMG]
    The stock is a Tapco adjustable and the pistol grip and forearm are Command Arms pieces. I'm impressed with the fit and quality of these parts, they actually fit better than the original wood pieces and they greatly improved the handling, feel, and overall appearance of the rifle.
  15. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

I have an AR and a Romanian AK and personally I prefer the feel of the AK. There's magic in that old 7.62x39 round.
  16. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Did you say CLIPS??????????????
  17. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I like the AR better. More comfortable.
  18. terminator

terminator Member

Very nice!!!!