AK or SKS

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by durk, Nov 12, 2008.

?

AK47 Or SKS, Why and from what country?

1. AK47

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. SKS

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. durk

durk Active Member

What is your preference and from what country?
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I voted AK because of the removable magazine. It's certainly not the perfect weapon, but I think the AKs pros outweigh its cons.

Mine is from Romania. I know it's at the lower end, quality wise, but mine is a better example as far as the Romanian ones go, and there are SO many replacement parts available that I'll be able to improve it as I get more money saved up.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

AK... It's no accuracy champion, and certainly just a plinker or short-range hunting weapon. But well, so is the SKS....

The AK's perk list is short for me, ending at the detachable magazine. My choice was an American-made AK with 7 US compliance parts (only 6 are needed), not including the American-Made magazine (which makes 10 total compliance parts). The guns are rugged and very dependable. I would not get a WASR that has been machined to accept double-stack mags but that's just me. While I have no experience personally with them, I've heard of magazine feeding problems and can completely understand this from the mechanics standpoint.

This is just my opinion and as always with opinions... Well, you know... :D
  4. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Ya can't go wrong with either, I prefer the AK for looks, I find the accuracy and reliability to be equal with both, if you go for an SKS find a nice russian, they cost a tad more, but are much more collectable and have nice furniture
  5. durk

durk Active Member

Well guys, I just got the OK from the wife to spend 1K. So I might go with a AR15?
  6. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!! she have a single sister? :D ya . get a nice AR-15 and deck it out...that's half the fun of having an AR...and it's one rifle that's going to be in even higher demand in the near future...I love mine
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

If you've got $1000 to put to good use, go with an AR.

I had less than $450 to use, so I was very limited as to my choices.

Of course, for $1000 you can get one of the nicer AKs (a Russian at the shop near me is $550) and three cases of 7.62x39 (less than $150/700 round case including shipping from Aim Surplus).
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  8. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

I have both. I think the SKS is a great bargain, but I prefer the AK for appearance. I bought my SKS when I was a senior in high school, brand new Chinese Norinco and I only paid $80 for it. Those were the days....
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I voted for the SKS. Mine is a Russian made paratroper model, it's my avitar.
    (I own three) I have two detachable 30rd. mags. for it. What I like about the SKS is that once hunting season is open, I can put the 10rd. mag. back in it, as well as the original stock, and I don't look like a fool while out hunting. Maybe some of you more knowledgable folks can tell me if the Russian models are the only ones that can be fitted with a detachable mag.? As far as a hunting rifles go an SKS or AK, bullistically speaking, is a better round out past 100yds. than the 30-30. With practice, knowledge, and proper setup, either rifle is capable of 300yd. kills.
  10. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Any SKS can be fitted with a duckbill 30 rounder mag, just take the 5 round mag out and you are set....easy to do
  11. noslolo

noslolo New Member

My choice was the SKS, too bad I can't afford any right now.
  12. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

In answer to your original question, I would go with the Valmet.
    Buy you might be hard pressed to find one for $1k.

What AR are you thinking of getting?
  13. durk

durk Active Member

Today I brought home a Bushmaster model XM15. Now, time for accessories!:D
  14. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Sweet man!!! Time for dress that black beauty up :D congrats on your new baby.....let's see some pics
  15. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Russian SKS.....only because I have never shot an AK and can't afford to buy one to try it out. I guess I should say, "SKS by default"