AK Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gdmoody, Oct 17, 2012.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

A friend in Florida just send me a text message with this question and I don't know the answer. I am sure someone here can answer it for me.

Can an AK with a single stack mag be converted to take a double stack mag?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't know, but I'm thinking about that mag well! Something would have to done to make it accept the double stack mag, and then it wouldn't take the single anymore.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

what's he got a wasr?
  4. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I'm no AK expert, but I can't recall every seeing an AK with a single stack mag. Does your friend have a real AK or a .22 caliber AK look-a-like?
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes. It was a "legal" question, I'm presuming, and not a mechanical question. So, yes, there is no Florida law preventing it.

As for a mechanical question, I'm 95% sure that is also yes. I'm pretty sure I've heard of others doing it.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

45auto, during the ban, many were made to take a single stack, which were only made in ten-round capacity. As soundguy implied, I'm pretty sure it was only the Romanian WASR, but there were bunches of 'em.
  7. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Yes it is quite easy. I believe there is a utube vid and several web sites with the instructions.
  8. gdmoody

I don't know, I sent hem a text asking but no answer yet!
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  9. gdmoody

It is a Misr-10 made in Egypt. He just texted me a picture of the receiver with name.
  10. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

From a mechanical point of view it can be done. CAI modified quite a few WASRs from single to double stack mag capability. I had one in 5.45x39mm, and while the double stacks functioned well enough, without the supporting "dimple" in each side of the receiver they wobbled around rather annoyingly. CAI wasn't too neat in cleaning up the resulting larger mag well opening, and I damn near sliced the end of my thumb off on one of the sharp edges. Wobbling mags and self-surgery aside, the single to double stack mag modification worked.
  11. gdmoody

Thanks guys. I passed on the comments ya'll made and sent him a link to a youtube video I found. It is all up to him now as to what he is going to do with it.
  12. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

P.S. to previous. Another thought you might pass along to your buddy with the single stack AK; just for the heck of it I hopped on Google and tapped in "Single Stack AK Magazine". A bunch of sites popped up, but I only read the first few, which in essence said single stack mags are nearly impossible to find these days. He might want to bear this in mind while contemplating the modification to his rifle.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I was gonna post the same thing. They are fairly rare, exceedingly so since the expiration of the assault weapons ban. I bet he could list it on Kommiefornia 'AL' and get enough to buy 2 regular AKs.