AK vs. AR - Which is more fun?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by CampingJosh, Feb 21, 2010.

?

Which do you find more fun to shoot?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2010.
  1. AR (and any variants)

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. AK (and any variants)

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

We've had many threads comparing form, function, reliability, and the relative merits of the cartridges each fires, and I'm not interested in any of that debate. I have an entirely different question.

Which one do you find more fun to shoot?
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    josh,i have been to the range and seen many many people with the ak and its clones.these people do not seem to aim at anything they just spray ammo as fast as they can.i can tell you they seem to enjoy it but many times these same people tend to spray into other peoples targets and dont seem too concerned.the ars will do the same but it seems like the owners are a more aimiable sort.i am not sure what your idea of fun is but enjoy old semperfi
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I am not a big fan of the AR platform, It to me feels plastic and weak. not to mention the EGO some of these SPROTSMAN seem to have while turning their smug little noses at your your bolt action browning A bolt while they are carressing their AR (EDITED BY TFF STAFF) In all actualieity I dont like the AK either but I enjoy shooting the AK over the AR any day.
  4. NY Marksman

NY Marksman New Member

I've found just the opposite especially from younger AK owners. Most that I've met come accross as cocky arrogant know it alls whose constant mantra is about how reliable their AK's are but they never seen to mention that all the 100 yard targets I see them shooting are all over the target with their smallest groups being anywhere from 5 inches to 12 inches. They seem to revel in the fact that their AK's cost them less then 1/2 what my AR did, of course they forget to mention that thrie AK's are stamped out of sheet metal versus my AR being precision machined. Most just seem to enjoy spraying bullets, wherever they end up isn't as important as the thrill of pulling the trigger and feeling the recoil of "a real combat weapon". They also get really upset at some of the ranges I frequent that have rules only allowing one round to be loaded at a time. You wouldn't believe the crying and whining because they can't load up a full mag and cut loose with a barrage of shots one after another until the mag is empty. I've seen lots of these fantasty foo fighters kicked off the range for not following the rules.

On the other hand I have found that most AR owners tend to be more conservative and confident about their rifles and are more interested in shooting accurately then they are in seeing how many rounds per hour they can send downrange. It seems to me that cheap rifles (like AK's) tend to attract less commited shooters. That doesn't make the AR owners smug by any means, it only tells me that they are more dedicated to their weapons and to the reason we all bought them, to develope the ability to shoot as accurately as possible. If not then why buy any rifle AK or AR.

As far as bolt gun shooters, they are the ones of all of us who should be the most angry of the bunch, after all they have to put up with us semi auto guys flinging spent casings out of our rifles at them.:D
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Which one do you have the most ammunition for. Easy answer.
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I do have more .223 rounds though since I have the Mini 14. I dont know I just am not fond of the Ar as said. And I do know what you are talkin about with the spray and pray genre of AK owners. I dont associate with many of those folks. I will say that the AR's are more accurate, but its the reliability in harsh environments that takes the gets the golden cup for me.

on a lighter note,

Flinging spent caseings. I know what you mean. I have never even considered that. I and to tell you the truth lookin back over the years i can remember a few times where other members at the range had switched sides in between shooting sessions. Now I know why LOL
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  7. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

I imagine there are people like that, but I don't believe the whole of the AR owning community can be painted with that brush. Arrogance affects many people. I'm sure there are Browning A-Bolt owners who look down their noses at all manner of folks too.

I love my AR-15 and enjoy shooting it, but I also love my Ruger M77 Mark II in .30-06. I don't look down my nose to anyone shooting anything. I'm just glad they're shooting and not trying to take my guns away from me! :)
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I guess my oppinion is based on experiences, I had to deal with some Sportsmen a couple of years back the kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Here I was loading up the Polaris on the trailer after a hunt and these three knuckle heads where pokein fun at me cuz my quad was beat up, my ole dodge truck was beat up and dirty. They werent pokein fun when the Browning came out of the sock and into the gunrack though. Somethin about my .338 makes people take notice. I guess its cuz she so damn pretty. I know some down to earth folks with AR's and they are allright, Its the pompass ones that get under my skin. Plus it seems I just attract (EDITED BY TFF STAFF) no matter where I go.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Never trusted shiny new vehicles in the woods/swamp, desert or halfway up a mountain. Made me think they haven't been up there before and how long before I have to pull them out of the ditch, mud or lead them out of the woods with my old skanky looking beast.
  10. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have to say I enjoy shooting my AK more. I think the reason is that the ammo was cheap I do not reload for it so I do not worry about the brass. I also did not pay alot for the rifle to start out with. I did not buy the rifle because of accuracy because I know that it is going to suck compared to my bolt rifles. It is just fun to go out and let it fly once in awhile.
  11. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I like both.

[​IMG]
  12. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

You'd think they'd grow up after a while, right? I assume you use the term sportsmen loosely in describing those people. I can't imagine good sportsmen of any kind poking fun at other sportsmen. It just isn't very sportsman like.

If it's any consolation, your beat up Polaris is much better than my ATV! I can't get anywhere on mine... It's imaginary at the moment! :)
  13. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

I started liking both when I saw they made a bullpup stock for the AK-47. I might have to get one to do a conversion.
  14. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

The AK is much more "fun" to shoot for me. You actually feel like you shot a gun unlike the AR which feels soooo much like a rimfire. I do like the AR platform in 308, now there is a fun rifle. I am still on the look out for a SAR 3 AK in of course 223 just for some fun shooting.
  15. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Yes I am useing the term loosely. A true sportsman or hunter to me is one that is getting by and who was trained in the art by fathers or grandfathers with the exception to the rule. Not these white collar yuppies that are aout to make a kill cuz they need to feel like a man type hunters. Which is what these two yayhoos where that I was speaking of.