1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Alabama Arms Company

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ridgewalker, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ridgewalker

ridgewalker New Member

Hi to everyone,
    I wanted to try to get some info on a singleshot shotgun I found in the wall of an old house I was dismantling in northeast Alabama. As you can see it is just the rusty body of the breakdown shotgun. I eventually want to clean up the body, add a stock and barrel and use it as wall decor. I did find where the manufacturing plant was located ( present day Lanett AL.) but know nothing else. How many were manufactured, how many years in business, closed down or sold to another company, etc.? I have added a couple of pics, but for the life of me I could not get the inscriptions on the right hand side of the gun to show up in any pic. Will keep trying but might need a better camera. On the bottom side behind the trigger guard has a # 4333. On the left side of the gun reads: Alabama Arms Co. & Pat. May 14 1901. Any info anyone might have would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Don
    Ridgewalker

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hello and welcome! I am still looking for the pictures!
  3. ridgewalker

ridgewalker New Member

Thank you for your response DD, and the welcome... happy to become a part of this site. I am trying to post them as we speak. I meant to do it before posting the thread. duh! Bare with me... I,m not a real computer guru nor a typist. :) I,ll get them asap. working on it. Thanks again!
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

Holy smoley! Another TFF "found gun" story! :D
  5. Double D

In case your not sure, click on the paper clip for attachments and browse your pics. You will be allowed 4 pics. The size will matter so if they arent posting, they may have to be cropped.
  6. ridgewalker

ridgewalker New Member

Thank you. I think I have it figured out with your assistance. I can actually see the AL Arms Co. and a bit of the pat. date on the gun after I posted them. Hope this helps. Thanks again!
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Another forum identified Alabama Arms Company as a brand name made by Harrington & Richardson, and that patent date appears on some old H&R single barrels. If it's an H&R, Jim Hauff should know.
  8. ridgewalker

ridgewalker New Member

Thanks to all. I appreciate it. Hey Juker... had to laugh... must be a ton of "found" stories on this site. I can tell I,m going to enjoy this site.
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I think you should abandon any hopeless ideas of "cleaning up" this piece. It falls into the category of dug up relics and should be displayed just as it is.
  10. Double D

Wow, thats pretty rough.....I am not sure what to say. Its cool to find stuff though. :eek:
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I would probably put it right back in the canal where I found it.
  12. williamd

williamd New Member

Google it for a limited amount of info.
  13. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Ridgewalker -
    Welcome.
    I'm pretty sure what you have is an H&R made Model 1900 - all the receiver contours match, including the patented "pivoting" removeable hinge pin. Check the pictures below. Finding replacement parts for this gun is possible, but because of the advanced state of decomposition - I'm thinking it is impractical. Check this link for parts available from NUMRICH/GPC on line catalogue.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=8077
    "Alabama Arms" as a 'brand name' made by H&R is a new one for me. ???
    hrf - can you point me to that other forum? Thanks.
    BTW - the value of these older guns is not high, even in v.good condition. Anything you do to restore this piece will be a labor of love.
    One other thing - IIRC - the receivers were made of "decarbonized, semi-steel" a step or two above forged iron - attempts to remove the exterior corrosion may cause delamination of most of the exterior surface, go lightly and use lots of good grade oil - I would avoid penetrating oils such as KROIL - those may enhance the delamination.

IMG_2282_2.jpg

IMG_2283_2.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

EDITED to add link to Numrich/GPC
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  14. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

ANOTHER observation - the serial number on your receiver is VERY low - I don't know if H&R used another series for "store brand" guns - but if not - that one was made very early in production probably 1901 or '02. Look the following pic and you will see that mine have "round" tangs. Also a pic of the hammer and top side of receiver - to compare with yours.

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  15. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member