All around best .22 ammo for semi auto pistols?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 45Auto, Jul 20, 2009.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Do you have a picky semi-auto pistol? One that will jam unless the right ammo is used? Well, which brand of .22 LR is the most reliable semi-auto pistol round?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

CCI Blazer ammo has always worked in any semi auto pistol I have ever tried it in.

Your pistol may need a good cleaning and spring change.
  3. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

CCI Mini Mags have worked extremely well in the Walther P22 a pair of Sterlings, and various other pistols.

(yes, one must keep pistols clean to be sure it's the ammo and not the dirt.)
  4. riverrat373

riverrat373 New Member

Even two different semi-autos of the same model and brand can shoot better with different ammo. That's why it's best to buy one box of several different brands and try them in YOUR pistol to see which one is better.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i never had a problem with federal bulk. other than that i've shot a lot of winchester super x, winchester in the white box (not sure but i think it was wildcat) cci blazer, and federal american eagle.

for a while, the kmart here, several years back. had a deal going that they would beat an advertised price on stuff, including ammo, and i got a whole bunch of ammo for like 8.50 a brick,
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

It really depends on what gun you have.

If it is a precision target pistol, like a S&W Model 41 or a Beretta 87T or a High Standard or a target Buckmark or any precision target pistol then you should only use Standard Velocity ammo in those type guns. They will shoot better and last longer as Hi Vel ammo beats up those guns. Plinkers like plastic Rugers or Neos or some of the other sub $500 variety guns probably will handle the Hi Vel OK but even they will last longer when only Std Vel ammo is used.

I tired CCI Std Vel ammo in all ten of my precision target 22 pistols and it was accurate and fed reliably in all ten, regardless that it was ONLY a Std Vel ammo. Its good stuff! and my guns will last longer for using it. It is not priced with bulk ammo but is not all that bad as a mid cost level ammo.

LDBennett
  7. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

Over the course of the past three years I have tried virtually any and all available brands and types in my rimfires (semi, lever and bolt rifles; semi and wheel pistols). In general, the bulk stuff works OK in virtually all of mine...except Remington; even my Remington rifles hiccup with the stuff. The Winchester-Western and Federal bulk seem to be a little "dirtier" than I care for, but they work fine for me. For the past year or so I just stock up on CCI MiniMags (40 gr. solid nose) and feed that to all my .22s. Costs me about $1 more per 100 than the other brands but I've never had a failure to feed, fire or extract with them. For the time being (while I can still afford it) the $.01 extra per round fired is an endurable cost to assure time at the range is spent banging away at targets rather than dealing with other issues. As other posters recommend, go through a wide variety brands and types, find what works best for your purposes and bang away.
  8. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

Mini-mags always work. Cost a little more, but much more reliable in cycling an auto. You and experiment with less expensive ammo and see what works, but mini-mags are the gold standard for autos.
  9. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

I use Aquilla Super mags, @ 1750fps they will pop back even a dirty bolt.

for hunting, CCI Stingers, only 1650fps, but a nasty expansion on contact

This is all I use in my 1976 & 1979 rimfires
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

MIn-Mags are High Velocity ammo and as such are not the best thing to feed semi-auto pistols as it can beat them up eventually. Some, like the great and now expensive to buy on the used market High Standard MIlitary Grip models, have a history of cracked the frames if Hi Vel ammo is used with an sacked out recoil spring. (When was the last time your recoil spring was replaced?).

I have over ten Target 22 pistol of all makes and models and ALL feed and shoot accurately CCI Standard Velocity. Your gun too most likely will feed these CCI Std Vel rounds just fine too.

Why take a chance of hurting any 22 target pistols with High or Hyper Velocity ammo of any make?????

LDBennett
  11. whip

whip New Member

Federal standard velocity bulk ammo seems to work well for me. However with the shortage of ammo this summer I have been using Remington standard velocity and it seems to work ok in my guns. Now for the .22 conversion on my Kimber .45 frame I find the high velocity ammo to be a must. It perfers the CCI mini mags and will shoot them into tiny little groups.