All my Remington Shotgun barrels are bulging. Anybody else with this problem?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bluesea112, Nov 18, 2012.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I am wondering if anybody else is having a problem with their Remington shotgun barrels bulging after shooting steel waterfowl loads?

Here is my particular situation:
    1. Remington 870 Express Magnum: A couple of years ago I used the shotgun for 1st half of duck season; shooting 3" steel waterfowl loads with an "improved cylinder" choke tube. Towards the end of the first split I noticed the barrel was bulging behind the choke tube. Scrapped that barrel and purchased replacement for second split of duck season. Towards the end of the 2nd split, I noticed the new barrel was bulging behind the choke tube. I had an improved cylinder choke in the new barrel as well.
    2. The following season I decided to give a Remington 887 a try. Shot 3 1/2" steel shells for 1st split of duck season using an improved cylinder choke tube. Same thing happened. Half way through the first split the barrel started bulging behind the choke tube.

Remington shotguns are the only shotguns I have ever had this kind of problem with. Does Remington use inferior steel in their barrels? I don't get it!
    I have shot identical steel loads through my Stoeger 3 1/2" gun and 3" shells through my Yildiz gun with no barrel bulging problems. Has anybody else experienced barrel bulge with their Remington shotgun?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

even though the barrels may be rated for steel shot, the choke tubes may not be.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Remchokes are labeled "lead or steel" if they are rated for steel shot. If the issue isn't a problem with the tubes, I don't have a clue.

Are you able to screw out the choke tube and examine it, or has the barrel damage pinched it in there?
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

hmmm...

my older 870 wingmaster got a bulge years ago but it's a fixed barrel (modified choke) and the bulge is about 2/3 the way down the barrel, not up as far as yours.

the only thing that we could figure out among all of us at the skeet range is that sometimes the hull breaks off a small piece and rides the wad or something crazy but never really made much sense and the barrel still shoots perfectly fine. patterns well and everything, I didn't even notice it until probably a week or so after it happened while cleaning it out.

I don't ever shoot steel shot so this was from home-rolled skeet lead shot.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Another thought. Did you ever replace the tubes? Are they actual rem choke tubes? It may sound silly but win choke is the same diameter and pitch, just shorter. Make sure the chokes are screwed all the way till the mouth meets the base of were it is tapped. Some people make the mistake of just turning them in till the muzzle is flush with the tube.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Since the guns are relatively new and the company is still in business, I suggest writing (not e-mailing) Remington with pictures of the bulge. Ask them what the problem is. It may be that using steel shot caused the problem, but I think Remington is more likely to provide an answer than we can do, sight unseen, on the net.

Jim
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

can't go wrong with contacting Remington; had a buddy contact them not long ago about .410 reloading with their STS hulls and got good and timely response/advice.
  8. Skipper

Skipper Member

9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I cannot remove the choke tubes. I am going to write them a letter and send the barrel along with the letter. It does me no good as it is, so the worst they can do is send it back to me unfixed. The first one this happened to I just cut off the barrel to 18 1/2" and keep the gun under my bed in case one of Obama's "he could have been my son" breaks in to the house.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012