Allergies, durn blast it all!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Pretty much put me under but I'm giving it heck with benadryl.:)

I guess it's safe to say it's that time of the year, for me.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Ah, that's no good at all. I've been taking Claritin for years now, I've been there. Rest up and take it easy if you can.
  3. pawn

pawn Active Member

I am a year-long user of singular and flo-nase... these meds work well for my allergies.
  4. Erich

Erich New Member

Albuquerque NM USA - 6000' above sea level
    I'm another nasal steroid user - sure wish they'd had those when I was a kid. I'm also mighty glad to be living away from the giant ragweed fields of the Midwest.

Hang in there, brother. :)
  5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

I've faught this stuff for years, worst was '94. I need to get some flo-nase and some clritain, those work great when I need to up and about, benadryl works great in the evening.

I'm awake but I'm taking it easy. I need more tissue, though. :p
  6. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I have sinus and allergy problems just about year round. Most of the "new age" medications like Claritin and Singulair don't work for me. The only stuff that works are the kinds that knock me out. I think the theory behind most of them is "take this, and by the time you wake up allergy season will be over."

I also use a neti pot to avoid heavy congestion and sinus infections. Not pleasant, but works really well.
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Whatever I take can not be penicillin based.
  8. sorral

sorral New Member

Just last year, all my childhood allergies came back....after 30 years!
    I had a heck of a time getting the doctors to figure it all out. They tried to tell me the Asthma symptoms were all in my head and panic attacks!..
    I finally got the tests done, and now am on some pills (claritin) and shot therapy and am doing better.:eek:
  9. mrs njretcop

mrs njretcop New Member

They are talking about a record allergy season in the NE this year. I have had sinus problems my whole life. Developed Spring and Fall allergies about 20 years ago. Usually use OTC stuff.
  10. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Here is a true story about my allergies.

We had 40 acres of alfalfa when I was growing up and when that stuff got mowed down, I had to leave the house because of my allergies.

When the cotton from the cottonwood trees started to fly, it was a living hell for me.

Today none of that stuff bothers me!!!!! Allergies are now nonexistent, poof, gone, zip, nada…

I will tell you what I did to get rid of them, but first with a word of caution. If you are allergic to bees, DO NOT do as I did as it can and will kill you.

Ready??

Eat fresh raw bee pollen, preferably from a local honey harvester. The more local you can get the better.

I started off with about a ¼ of a teaspoon to make sure that my throat didn’t swell shut then increased dosage to around two tablespoons today.

Here is a bit that I copied and pasted about pollen.

Bee pollen has been considered to have the following nutrients:

Vitamins: Provitamin A, B-1 Thiamin, B-2 Riboflavin, B-3 Nancin, B-5, B-6 Pyridoxine, B-12 (cyanocobalamine), Pantothenic acid, Vitamin C, F, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin H, Vitamin K, Vitamin PP, Folic Acid, Choline, Inositol, Rutin.
    Minerals: Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Iron, Copper, Iodine, Zinc, Sulfur, Sodium, Chlorine, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Selenium, Boron, Silica, and Titanium.
    Other: Amino Acid, Carbohydrates, Fatty Acids, Enzymes & Co-Enzymes, Fats.
    Bee Pollen contains at least 22 amino acids, 18 vitamins, 25 minerals, 59 trace elements, 11 enzymes or co-enzymes, 14 fatty acids, 11 carbohydrates and approximately 25 % protein. Bee pollen is extremely rich in carotenes, which are metabolic precursors of vitamin A. It is also high In B complex and vitamins C, D, E and Lecithin. Bee pollen contains over 50 % more protein than beef, yet its fat content is very low. It is also an excellent vegetarian source of protein typically possessing more of the essential amino acids, pound for pound, than animal proteins like meat, eggs, and dairy products.
    Daily use of pollen also ensures an intake of the more obscure, yet essential trace minerals that may be lacking from commercially grown produce and are often not included in vitamin mineral supplements. Most of us are unaware that the nutrients supplied by cooked fruits, vegetables and meats are not considered fresh because their enzymes have been exposed to high heat. Even taking a multivitamin can't offer the superior nutrient array of raw and fresh food.
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Ya, but I'm allergic to pollen.
  12. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Grrrrrr, that sucks Mosin, really sucks.

I know I used to use Benadryl, Clairatin and anything else that said it was for allergies. These were alright for very short term relief, but nothing compaired to the VERY long term relief that I have received from pollen.

It really works, if you can take it that is. Sorry to hear about your 'other' allergies, I tried. :(
  13. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I went to the clinic every couple of weeks for immunotherapy shots, my allergy was to dust mites. Those little nasties are everywhere, so I went with the injections but it worked. I only have mild sinus trouble once in a while now, but had really big problems every three to four weeks when my allergies were bad. Not sure if I'm still supposed to be taking Claritin or not, I just do because I seem to get stuffy when I try to stop taking it.

Funny how injections of the actual allergen, increased over time, will work to cure some people. Some people don't get any good results from it, but I was one of the lucky ones. I took some pollen once and got the migraine of a lifetime, then couldn't even eat honey for years; I cured that on my own by taking increasing doses of honey on a spoon every day for months, and that worked. Now I can eat honey sandwiches again (at least as long as there are bees to make it.)