Alliant Bullseye Smokeless Powder for beginners

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GunNut, Nov 16, 2008.

1. GunNut

GunNut New Member

What do you guys think about Alliant Bullseye Smokeless Powder for 9mm 115gr?
    I'm new to reloading and when I told two other guys that reload, I was using this they said, I better rethink using Alliant Bullseye Smokeless Powder as a beginner to reloading.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Any fast burning powder takes a very small amount in the case for normal load levels. Bullseye, if not the fastest burning powder, it is close to the fastest and consequently the charges are extremely small. That would not be a problem if you don't accidentally double charge a case which will most certainly hurt the gun or maybe you. Close scrutiny of each and every charged case to assure only a single charge would solve the potential problem. Also accurate measurement of the charges is mandatory as a small error can have a big impact. Another solution, your friends are suggesting, is a powder that better fills the case so a double charge would overflow the case, a sure sign that you goofed.

I have never been a Bullseye fan because of those small charges. I use Winchester 231 or its exact equivalent Hodgdon HP38. The charges are a bit larger and easier to see double charges. Other powders that use still larger quantites also work well and double charges in some of them will overflow the case and/or are much easier to see.

Review a reloading manual and make your choice but the reality is a cautious and precise reloader can use any recipe he finds in a reloading manual with complete safety. That is not true of a haphazard, distracted, and unfocused reloader with shoddy equipment.

LDBennett