Almost Got Robbed Last Night

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hogger129, Jan 30, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

So I was out with my friends for my birthday, chasing girls around at places. We decided to go to some bar to meet up with them and it wasn't in the greatest neighborhood around here. Was leaving with one of my friends, decided to go use the bathroom, friend went to the car. On my way out to my car, some guy decides to pull out a knife and demand my wallet. I think the guy was already drinking alot because when I ran he kinda just walked after me quickly. I ran as fast as I could to my car and jumped in and locked the doors, started it up and hit the gas as fast as I could. So I am going out today to look for a nice carry gun. Anybody know anything good that might cost around $500 or less?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

If you look you can find a New or nearly new Glock for around $500.

Art
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Whats wrong with the 1911 you already own ? You can buy a nice concealment holster and gun belt for much less than $500.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

If you're in Wisconsin, I assume you need 100% concealability (since carry isn't legal there). I would recommend a Kel Tec, Ruger, or Taurus in .380 ACP. I have the Kel Tec, and it's a good gun. It hides completely in any pocket.

If you go any bigger than that, just know that you will have to dress differently to carry consistently.

Of course, the best plan is to avoid such situations and to obey the laws.
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

Just something for you to think about hogger... (I am not up to date on Wisconson Firearms Laws... but,) here in NC you cannot carry while under the influence of Alcohol. So what good would a carry piece do when youre bar hopping?
  6. cakes

cakes New Member

Good point. In this case, your money might be better spent on karate lessons.

Or a taxi fare to a nicer part of town when you want to hit the bars.
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    CHK OUT THE TAURUS SUB COMPACTS,I DO NOT RECCOMEND 380 CALIBER SIMPLY BECAUSE AMMO IS HARD TO FIND AT SOME PLACES AND VERY EXPENSIVE.I WOULD GO 9 MM OR 40 CAL OLD SEMPERFI
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Even if you had had a gun, you did the right thing. Had you shot the guy, you could be in a lot of trouble and had a lot of expense even if things worked out in the end. For self defense, a gun is not your first choice, it is your last resort when you can't get away and have no other choice.

I know a lot of folks who will disagree and who would shoot first. But I can guarantee that doing so will get you arrested, held overnight, maybe require bail, and possibly even get you convicted of something, even murder, not to mention sued by the "innocent victim's" loving relatives. So engage brain before putting trigger finger in action.

Jim
  9. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

+1.
  10. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I decided to "carry", I also decided to avoid going certain places and doing certain things.

It just boils down to: What's more important; "Safety" or "Partying"?

The first two rules of "Self-Defense" are to always "Be Aware" of situations that INCREASE the likelyhood of being targeted.

AND

"AVOID" places and situations that lend themselves to trouble if at all possible.

I'm not preaching; just sayin' something to think about?

BTW;
    You did do the right thing regardless being armed or not.
  11. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Glad you didnt get hurt. Your Rock Island is good enough for you to carry but you CANT carry when bar hopping, drinking. I hope that you at least got lucky.;)
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

No I was only carrying a love gun that night (lol) and didn't get lucky. But I just got the he\\ outta there as fast as possible and took off. I don't get why concealed carry is still illegal in Wisconsin anyway. Hopefully that mayor of Milwaukee wont' get elected and they get a good Republican in office that won't veto the legislation for it this time. I heard Tommy Thompson may be a potential runner in the next election for Gov.
  13. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I've had a fair amount of trouble over the years, nothing serious but most of those incidents, at least the ones that did not involve dogs, alcohol was involved in some way. Sometimes I was drinking, sometimes the other guy, sometimes both. The best way to avoid such problems is to not drink, the next best way is to not go to bars, the next best way is to not go to rough bars. If you go to bars you are going to have problems and most of these problems a gun won't help and some of these problems a gun will make worse and some of the problems a gun will make much, much worse. Forget carrying if you are going to bars. Especially if you live in a state where carrying is not legal.
  14. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

Dont over look the ruger LCR. It is quickly becoming my favorite carry gun
  15. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I carry one everyday.