The Firearms Forum banner

Almost perfect group, 5 @ 50 Yds, .026"

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 · (Edited)
I woke up today and it was the first nice day we have had in weeks, high 30's, sunshine and almost zero wind.

I took my Savage BRJ over to Savagegunsmithing to shoot as Scott has a 50 yard range.
I had just put one of the flat forend adapters on the forend of my rifle and wanted to try it out.
I shot free, just pinching the trigger guard and trigger.
I had one box of Wolf MT left over from an old lot. The bore was clean so I shot 15 rounds to season the bore. I only had 20 rounds in that box and could see the groups coming togather, tighter with each 5 shot group.
Scott and a friend had come out of the shop to see how the rifle was shooting.
I carefully aimed each shot, the first two went in the same hole, I shot the third, same hole, same with the 4th. By this time I was nervous as a bride, Scott looked at me and said, think small.
I carefully aimed and let the shot go, same hole.

We all went up an looked, none of us could believe the target when we went up close.
We took it inside and measured it, .222" from the edge of the grease mark to the hole on the other side, 5 shots @ 50 yards. Scott called a couple of friends over to see the target.
The BRJ was one of the guns Scott accurized for me. I have never seen or shot a perfect group, I was elated. The black mark at the top right hand side of the group is a dot I marked with a marker. it gives me an exact aim point.

The box of 20 was the last of the lot # I had. I went out and shot another target, shot 18 25X. The wind had picked up slightly, but I was pretty happy with that target. had I taken a little more time and not had two flat bags under my main bag, I know I could have done better. It was a pain with 3 bags stacked so I could hit the target.

Later I went out and fired a couple more targets, by now the wind had picked up.

I don't know if I can eve do it again, but you can bet the next windless day, I'll be out trying. I don't think I have any more of the lot of ammo, Wolf MT left to shoot. Sure wish I did, because the rifle sure liked it.

The forend piece, sold by Sinclair really helped hold the rifle steady.
The gun shot a best of .4" prior to being accurized. I have the 1/8" bottom metal and have found the gun shoots best with the action only snugged down, maybe 8 inch pounds. The scope is a Millet 4 X 16 X 56 AO.
It may have been luck, but I still can't get the smile off my face.
here are some pictures. I have shot a bunch groups in the low .1" range before, with my best being .117". With the long winters, I have had very little practice time. Days without much wind are rare, but you can bet I'll be doing a lot of shooting this summer. I'd love to get good enough to compete with the Savage that Scott accurized for me, but my wind doping skills still need some work.

The .026 is not correct, someone measured it off the computer with one of the programs and took the aiming dot that I put on the target into the equasion, it actually easures .222 across, which means it's perfect, that's measuring from the outside of the grease mark on the left to the hole on the right which is clean, no real mark.

My Best, John K

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Awesome, John. Very nicely done. Five through one hole, just doesn't get any better. Love that Savage, too!

Of course now it's all down hill from there...:D

#8 · (Edited)
Awesome, John. Very nicely done. Five through one hole, just doesn't get any better. Love that Savage, too!

Of course now it's all down hill from there...:D
Yes, when you have shot a .222" hole, you just can't do any better unless you can do it on a regular basis. I shoot in the .1"'s and .2"s all the time, but am not good enough to shoot a perfect group on any kind of regular basis.
Where I live in Idaho, we have 3 months of summer. I've been a pistol shooter, only took up 22 rifle shooting at the end of last summer, so I don't get the trigger time I would like.
It was beautiful yesterday in the AM when I shot, by 10am, it was starting to really blow, today 2" snow on the ground. Will summer ever get here??? :mad: The gunsmith who accurized the Rifle has shot under .1" on several occasions with this rifle, it's a shooter. Not all Savage rifles will shoot this small, but more will than you would think after they were accurized.
My Best, John K

#14 ·
no difference BETH, not in a production grade weapon anyway.

The Wolf target ammo is made by SK of lapua, the Match extra is the very same ammo as Match target, ran on the same machines, loaded with the same brass, powder and bullets. The Match extra is held to nominal tolerances, and the match target is the rounds of the lot that were just outside the norm...

Basically SK has done the hard work by sorting them for you...

#16 ·
I love wolf match target, it works great in all my revolvers. I bought 10 bricks when I had a chance.
That BRJ is the best looking rifle out there today. I fell in love with the first one I saw, but I am having trouble with the $400 for a 22 bolt action, but I guess this ain't the 80's anymore.

#17 ·
Of all the Savage MKII's I've seen test fired, the Wolf MT is more accurate with just a few exceptions.
Try both, but you will most likely be better off saving $2.00 a box on the MT.
If you want better ammo, time to pony up for the $18.00 a box Lapua, Federal Ultra match etc.
The MT shoots great, but may give you an occasional small flier. Lapua makes it and does a darn good job for the price.
Not being well off, I shoot MT 98% of the time.

John K

#18 ·
It's official, Winter rust is gone.

#19 ·
So u r saying the extra little better
yes, in a finely tuned target rifle you will notice a difference. In a marlin 60, the groups are gonna look the same so save the 2 bucks a box and use the MT not the MTE for the latter....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.